Anyone with an overclocked Athlon 64 yet (**ON AIR**)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
I like AMD/A64 but I'm not touching anything VIA. Chipset support is what bothers me.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: solofly
I like AMD/A64 but I'm not touching anything VIA. Chipset support is what bothers me.

Stop living in the past. Via chipsets from the KT266A and above have been great alternatives.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Lyfer

Stop living in the past. Via chipsets from the KT266A and above have been great alternatives.

You tell him. My KT333 board has been extremely stable since day one.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Jmman
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Well guys, I just got back from the launch and I have in my hot little hands an Athlon FX 51, 1GB of Hyper X Registered pc3200, and an Asus Nforce 3 motherboard. Really too tired to put it together tonight, but tomorrow I will give you guys the rundown........:)

:Q Blasphemy! If I had those parts in hand and I had to choose between eating/excreting waste/sleeping and building the computer, Id choose build.

Trust me guys, I had every intention of throwing this thing together today. The problem is that I stayed up all night partying in SFO last night and had a 6am flight this morning......my ass is kicked......:(

Any results yet?

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Well, I got it put together but definitely have had some glitches. I love "bleeding edge" hardware.......:confused: I put it together and everything was great until I decided to flash the bios to the latest and greatest. Unfortunately, the latest BIOS was beta. Note to self, never try to use a BETA BIOS!! It not only corrupted my Windows install but the machine was so unstable it would barely boot. After reflashing the BIOS and fixing the corrupted Windows files, I got it back into shape with one small glitch. Certain 9700 PRO cards will not work with the Asus SK8N, and unfortunately mine was one of them. I just got back with a 9800, so all is good......:) The only benchies I have really done is the Sandra memory bandwith test, and this thing is definitely a huge improvement over the Athlon XP. It scores around 5300 in both INT and FLOAT....I will try overclocking in a bit.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Well, at this point in time there is no way to overclock this beast at all......:| Even though the chip is multiplier unlocked, there is no option in the bios to change it. Furthermore, the FSB is locked at 200 and I can not change it for some reason. This is starting to piss me off.....:(

****UPDATE**** Well, I finally figured it out and yes these seem to overclock pretty well. I am at 213 FSB or 2.35 Ghz right now completely stable with no voltage increases.....it looks like AMD has a winner!!****

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Well, at this point in time there is no way to overclock this beast at all......:| Even though the chip is multiplier unlocked, there is no option in the bios to change it. Furthermore, the FSB is locked at 200 and I can not change it for some reason. This is starting to piss me off.....:(

****UPDATE**** Well, I finally figured it out and yes these seem to overclock pretty well. I am at 213 FSB or 2.35 Ghz right now completely stable with no voltage increases.....it looks like AMD has a winner!!****

Suuuuhhhweeetness. Try for 2.4.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Well, it looks like it tops out on air around 2.4 to 2.5 ghz. The difficulty I am having is with the ram though, not necessarily the processor. If I had a multiplier adjustment it would be much easier to overclock, but at 2.4 the FSB is 220. The fastest registered ram you can get is PC3200. I really need registered PC3500 or PC3700, but they don't even make that.....:(

I got a little chuckle out of Sisoft Sandra as well. It tells you the AMD performance rating like 3200+, etc. My chip is a 4100+.....:)

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Do you have time to do a WinZip compression benchmark for us? I'd like to hear how it does :D Here's the standard one that I do:

• Defrag system drive
  • Make a new folder on the system drive, and copy the contents of Unreal Tournament (original) Disc 1 into the folder
  • Defragment drive again
  • Reboot to clear the data from the system's cache
  • Right-click the folder and choose WinZip > Add to Zip File
  • Choose Maximum (slowest) compression and begin timing when you click the Add button
  • Halt timing when the progress bar disappears

For reference, this sounds like it would depend a lot on your hard drive, but it really doesn't. The result varies a lot with the CPU/mobo/memory setup. On my AthlonXP 1700+ @ stock speed, I typically got times around 3m 25sec.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Do you have time ..... I typically got times around 3m 25sec.

I just knew you'd come in here asking him to run that benchmark.
:D

It's a good way to keep the video card out of the equation, at least :) He could also run a SETI benchmark using a standard test work unit. Jmman, if you want my SCSIBench edit: 'scuse me, I meant SETIBench benchie to run, I can put it up at my Tripod page for download. Your rig is just begging for that kind of a job.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

It's a good way to keep the video card out of the equation, at least :) He could also run a SETI benchmark using a standard test work unit. Jmman, if you want my SCSIBench benchie to run, I can put it up at my Tripod page for download. Your rig is just begging for that kind of a job.

Yeah, but I am gonna start calling you the benchmark police or something :p.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999

It's a good way to keep the video card out of the equation, at least :) He could also run a SETI benchmark using a standard test work unit. Jmman, if you want my SCSIBench benchie to run, I can put it up at my Tripod page for download. Your rig is just begging for that kind of a job.

Yeah, but I am gonna start calling you the benchmark police or something :p.
I'll pull him over for speeding if his rig does it in under 1:30 ;)

I do prefer to see some sort of real-world task used for benchmarking, whether it's WinZip (I do some heavy WinZip at work sometimes), or media encoding, or an actual game benchmarking (Comanche 4, UT2003 Botmatch, etc). LOL, I'd take seat-of-the-pants impressions over a comprehensive rundown of SiSoft Sandra benchies ;)

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
It looks like about 1:48 at 2.31 ghz with a few things running in the background........I think I could get it under 1:30 if I tried......:)

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
It looks like about 1:48 at 2.31 ghz with a few things running in the background........I think I could get it under 1:30 if I tried......:)
Wait! :confused: I can't find my ticket book!

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Wait! :confused: I can't find my ticket book!

Whoa..so I am guessing that is a good speed?

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
The only score that I recall beating it is (get this) a 2.53GHz Pentium4 on i850E with PC1066 RDRAM (this belongs to jbond04) with a 1m 30s time. Even P4's on dual-channel DDR are not getting that kind of performance, not even close... I think someone had a 2:30 on i875P, or perhaps that was Granite Bay... can't recall anymore. Suffice it to say, RDRAM really helps the P4 hit its stride on compression tasks. :Q

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Well, it looks like it tops out on air around 2.4 to 2.5 ghz. The difficulty I am having is with the ram though, not necessarily the processor. If I had a multiplier adjustment it would be much easier to overclock, but at 2.4 the FSB is 220. The fastest registered ram you can get is PC3200. I really need registered PC3500 or PC3700, but they don't even make that.....:(

I got a little chuckle out of Sisoft Sandra as well. It tells you the AMD performance rating like 3200+, etc. My chip is a 4100+.....:)

2.4ghz to 2.5ghz is sweet on AIR. I wonder how well the Athlon 64 will do.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003

If you find me one Athlon64 mobo with fixed or lockable PCI/AGP bus, I'll buy it...

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002

If you find me one Athlon64 mobo with fixed or lockable PCI/AGP bus, I'll buy it...

Well then you have to buy the nforce3. There are a few brands available now.