Anyone willing to take a swing at this:

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I guess it is hard to describe in an objective term, but the sound from my speakers in my stereo setup is more harmonic/relaxing listening to where the DT 880 will give you every detail, which in some way can be a little "too much" /clinical.
May be the cans to a large extent, but this can also be due to differences in the amp driving it. Even if the cans are plugged into the same home stereo, any decent stereo isn't just using the speaker output stage pulled down with resistors to power the headphone socket, will have a separate buffer stage if not also an opamp stage (or similar config built from discrete components, going back a few decades).

Reactions: biostud

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The little Lavaudio DS400 is going back to Amazon. The headphone jack is...wonky. Just a slight wiggle in the headphone cord and one side cuts out. I've tried it with two separate headphones to eliminate a problem in the beyerdynamic plug. Also, while it's much better than the motherboard's sound chip output, it just doesn't get very loud. (at least to my ears)
I have a line on a used FiiO K5 Pro. SUPPOSED to be much better output. We'll see.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I ended up buying a slightly used FiiO K5 Pro (AKM version) from a guy on Head-Fi.org. WOW! What a difference in sound quality! Depending on the youtube track, it's not quite "blow your ears out" loud, even on the high gain setting...but it gets more than loud enough for my needs.
I'm glad the DT 880 Pro's notorious "treble spike" doesn't bother me. I LIKE hearing the clean, crisp highs.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I only have one set of headphones, and yes I only listen to high bitrate music. My own library consists only of lossless music, and I use Tidal for streaming, which might not be lossless, but I was able to get it for half the normal price.

Signed up today for the free version of Tidal. Can't justify paying for the better version...but they have a decent library available in the free section.
(I wasn't even aware of Tidal until about a month ago when people on different sites mentioned it)

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Boomer, if you are a youtube addict (like me) do you subscribe to Youtube Premium? It cuts out the commercials but also includes Youtube Music, a music streaming service for free. Set YT Music on high audio quality in the settings and I'm very satisfied with it. It costs $12/month or $120/yr for single user and when I signed up I got a three month free trial.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Signed up today for the free version of Tidal. Can't justify paying for the better version...but they have a decent library available in the free section.
(I wasn't even aware of Tidal until about a month ago when people on different sites mentioned it)
The price for Tidal in Denmark is normal 99DKK but I can get i through my phone plan for 60DKK (~$8/month), which is an OK price for me, and I also use a lot for children's music, so it is probably the same amount I would use or less on buying CD's or FLAC's from Bandcamp.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Boomer, if you are a youtube addict (like me) do you subscribe to Youtube Premium? It cuts out the commercials but also includes Youtube Music, a music streaming service for free. Set YT Music on high audio quality in the settings and I'm very satisfied with it. It costs $12/month or $120/yr for single user and when I signed up I got a three month free trial.

Nah. The only music service I actually pay for is SiriusXM for listening in the truck. I use an Amazon Dot speaker to play quiet music at night via Sirius.

IIRC, I get Apple Music free with my phone plan. Might have to look into that.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
WHAT??? Example from YT, kind Sir :)

I'll let you chase the music down, but this is from the Spa channel's recent play list. I play the music quietly...just loud enough to hear...helps drown out background noises.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So...a few months ago, I ordered one of Monoprice's Dark Matter gaming headsets for my grandson. Not very high quality, but good enough for his needs. My stupid fckn dog (~60 lb, 14 month old labradoodle puppy) jumped on the kids bed...and stepped on the headphone cord where it plugged into his Playstation controller. <SNAP> Broke the TRRS connector. (fortunately, it didn't break completely off inside the controller.) Contacted Monoprice to buy a replacement cable, (this one has the volume/mute controller in-line) Nope...they don't sell them separately. :confused: BUT, they were willing to RMA the entire headset once I sent his in. Because he uses his daily, rather than have him be without, I bought a new headset for him, then sent the "old" one in for RMA. It arrived today. I gotta say, connected to my FiiO K5 pro amp, they don't sound terrible...MUCH better than through the motherboard's sound chip) and for $20...I have a spare headset., should for some stupid reason, I decide I want to play games on-line and need a microphone. (highly unlikely)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Everything happens for a reason. You owe him an apology :p

No...he can be hella stupid.

abn.sized.jpg

• Haha