anyone watching the news? plane with landign gear messed up needs to land

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
as title say.

a flight that has bad front landing gear needs to land in miami. they are showing it live on fox now.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I remember watching the JetBlue one land at LAX when the gear was turned sideways - that gear is strong as hell. It landed just fine - ground a lot of metal off but it held.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: OdiN
I remember watching the JetBlue one land at LAX when the gear was turned sidewayse - that gear is strong as hell. It landed just fine - ground a lot of metal off but it held.

yeah that was impressive as hell.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
No biggie, pilots will fly around to burn fuel while trying to manually get gear down. If not just belly it in. Lots of noise for passengers, but odds are they will be all okay. When it gets dicey is when only one of the main landing gear comes down.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: rudder
No biggie, pilots will fly around to burn fuel while trying to manually get gear down. If not just belly it in. Lots of noise for passengers, but odds are they will be all okay. When it gets dicey is when only one of the main landing gear comes down.

the gear is down. just not right.

Oct 25, 2006
Really doesn't matter. The Belly of the Plane is designed to be able to withstand a no landing gear landing.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

Yeah with the main landing gear you can keep the nose up and slow down for a while until absolutely necessary, then just ease it in - bumpy but should be okay. Keeping one wing up with one main gear set down only is a lot harder and setting that wing down is dangerous. I wonder if they can kill the engine on that side and transfer any fuel to the other or something because that could easily cause a fire which can be very very bad.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy

There is a green light in the cockpit when the gear is down and locked. If the light does not come on.. the gear may be down and locked but no way for the pilot to know if its just an electrical glitch. If you have two good gear down and there are problems... I know the pilots would be reluctant to cycle the gear in order to fix it. The only way to know for sure is to see if it buckles on landing. Not near a TV dammit.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy

There is a green light in the cockpit when the gear is down and locked. If the light does not come on.. the gear may be down and locked but no way for the pilot to know if its just an electrical glitch. If you have two good gear down and there are problems... I know the pilots would be reluctant to cycle the gear in order to fix it. The only way to know for sure is to see if it buckles on landing. Not near a TV dammit.

they showed the plane (it did a fly by) the gear is down.

but there is somethign wrong with it. you can see something is wrong with it (looks like its just blown).

Oct 25, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_glider

A famous example of a plane that landed without a gear

Craiglist

Plane Ran out of fuel mid flight ( Some stupid Kg to Liter conversion error due to the fact that they had no dedicated man on board to deal with that stuff)
Plane Glided Several Hundred miles
Plane Had No power to correctly lower landing Gear
Place went down, crashed on its belly. No Injuries.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_glider

A famous example of a plane that landed without a gear

Craiglist

Plane Ran out of fuel mid flight ( Some stupid Kg to Liter conversion error due to the fact that they had no dedicated man on board to deal with that stuff)
Plane Glided Several Hundred miles
Place went down, crashed on its belly. No Injuries.

"Mechanics were sent from Winnipeg Airport; their van ran out of fuel on the way to Gimli, leaving them stranded.[4] Another van was sent to pick them up."

That was pretty funny.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: tenshodo13

Thats why if it ain't Boeing... I ain't going.

At least on the Boeing 727 and probably most Boeing's prior to the 777 (may be the same way) you can hand crank the gear down... just like those WWII movies.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: OdiN
I remember watching the JetBlue one land at LAX when the gear was turned sideways - that gear is strong as hell. It landed just fine - ground a lot of metal off but it held.

Yes, I remember that. I broke that story here in fact. :cool:

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I think someone I know is on that plane. I just got back from orlando last night, and he was going to that general area to maybe fly back today. His blackberry is out of range now so I am concerned.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Evadman
I think someone I know is on that plane. I just got back from orlando last night, and he was going to that general area to maybe fly back today. His blackberry is out of range now so I am concerned.

I wouldnt worry (but yeah its hard nto to). the odds are so slim on something happening.

just makes for news.