Anyone watching Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel? A blueprint for Trump and the radical right

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Netanyahu who is under indictment for corruption, managed to get elected. Trump has already said he will not drop out even if indicted.
He is attempting to overhaul the Supreme Court making it easier for their parliament to overrule the court. Citizens have taken to the street in their words to stop Netanyahu from subverting Democracy. If he manages to pack the court he could potentially make the charges against him disappear.
Protesters described Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's proposed changes as an attack on democratic rule.
It follows the instalment of the most religious and hardline government in Israeli history.

Rallies were also held outside the prime minister's residence in Jerusalem and in the northern city of Haifa, local media reported.
One group of protesters clashed with police while attempting to block a major road, Ayalon highway, in Tel Aviv.

Critics say the reforms would cripple judicial independence, foster corruption, set back minority rights and deprive Israel's court system of credibility.

Why do I link this to Trump and other radical right wingers?

Georgia: Republicans are attempting to take power in order to remove "liberal prosecutors". Clearly a threat against Fani Willis because she may indict Trump. If he is indicted and found guilty IMO Republicans will go after the GA pardon board, install their cronies and pardon Trump.
Georgia Senate passes bill to discipline prosecutors | AP News

Florida: Everyone here has seen the assaults DeSantis has made on the first amendment which is clearly anti-Democratic.

Mississippi: Republicans are using an old Civil War law and usurping the elected officials of a predominately black district with their own court and police systems who only answer to white lawmakers.
White Republican Lawmakers Attempt to Take Over Black Jackson, Mississippi - Capital B (capitalbnews.org)

This is their grand plan. People don't want their agenda so they have to rig the game.

Over 80,000 Israelis protest against Supreme Court reform - BBC News
_128300888_gettyimages-1246235214.jpg.webp

th

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
The consequences of electing a neo-fascist leader in Israel are much, much worse than Trump could do here.

There’s a reason the Air Force reserves and various factions of the military are threatening to walk out (illegal in Israel) or else not show up for nonessential duty.

Without an independent judiciary, there would be no recourse for pilots or other personnel who refuse an illegal order. To understand the consequences, there are elements in Netanyahu’s cabinet who are calling for the Air Force to wipe certain Palestinian towns “off the map”.

If a pilot refuses an order to bomb a Palestinian settlement, he’d have to argue to the Supreme Court to get out of a court martial/imprisonment. That might not be an option if they’re answering to right-wing fascists in Parliament.

I think Netanyahu has his own reasons for pursuing this (I.e. saving his own skin) but don’t be surprised if others in his party/coalition take advantage.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Wait until Netanyahu resumes his campaign to get thousands more Americans killed in a war against Iran. He was quite the success in getting the U.S . and its allies to smash Iraq.

But there were no nuke or WMD's. So, what's another 200,000 dead Muslims?

Trump or DeSantis can win if millions of voters refuse to vote for Dems.

Hatred is a powerful drug and never goes out of style.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
More moves in Israel on the right wing trend toward authoritarianism.
Israel judicial reforms: Knesset passes law shielding Netanyahu from being removed amid protests over judicial changes | CNN

Prediction: At some point the United States will have to speak out against what he is up to. The Republicans will support the newest autocrat.

I'm usually right about these people. Let's see.
Geez, in light of the mass protests and high profile rejection of this move, I thought this would be at least delayed longer. Obviously, I have completely misread the situation. Long Live Victor Orban???

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Over the last hundred years Israel has slowly been going batshit and I truly do not like it. I also do not like us supporting them. But I dont think anything will change.

Reactions: hal2kilo

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Israel hasn't been around a century.
No they've been around millenia, but the nation currently officially named Israel was formed in 1948. Their politics vary slightly but I stand by my point over the last 100 years they've been getting more and more mindlessly hostile towards Muslims and really anybody who doesnt share their extremist beliefs.

Reactions: hal2kilo

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I know this may get me labeled as an antisemitic, but I have long felt that some of the actions taken by Israel are clearly oppressive in nature.

Actions taken by Netanyahu basically is trying to turn Israel into an autocracy, where himself, or a few privileged "elite" will be the de facto rulers. There will be no oversight.

And yes, the GOP are clearly following this path.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I know this may get me labeled as an antisemitic, but I have long felt that some of the actions taken by Israel are clearly oppressive in nature.

Actions taken by Netanyahu basically is trying to turn Israel into an autocracy, where himself, or a few privileged "elite" will be the de facto rulers. There will be no oversight.

And yes, the GOP are clearly following this path.
Dude, it's been like that for decades. I am so against the US supporting them in any way. They have become what they were against pre 1948.

Reactions: Pohemi

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The danger of nationalism lies in the intermingling of cultural identity with the state.
It is dangerous for people to fear speaking out against the actions of the Israeli govt for fear of being labeled antisemitic.
It goes against everything liberals hold dear for one cultural identity to be given preferential treatment by the state over another cultural identity.
The Jewish people do have the right to exist. But so do every other people.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No they've been around millenia, but the nation currently officially named Israel was formed in 1948. Their politics vary slightly but I stand by my point over the last 100 years they've been getting more and more mindlessly hostile towards Muslims and really anybody who doesnt share their extremist beliefs.
The Jewish people <> Israel.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Goodbye independent judiciary. Hello banana republic.

What an absolute shame Israel. Your holy roller segment just took a gigantic shit on all the people who died creating and defending Israeli democracy. That's disgusting Trump level defilement right there, but with the added evil of even more religious fundamentalism involved. So long Palestinian state idea, here comes another intifada or three.

America shows our adversaries there is a cost for embracing the evils of fascism. There should be costs for when allies do it too.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
But are they really our allies?

You don't get your hands on custom F35s by being a confrontational adversary.

I use that word even though I feel the relationship went out of control sometime ago. This arrangement where we give them protection and money, just to get told 'duely noted, now stfu we'll do what we want' got old a long time ago. Now that this meshuggenah Bibi and his Likud buddies will control the courts I think the term allies is even less appropriate. That fucker was talking about starting a war with Iran or Lebanon to force the soldiers off the picket lines, to prevent them from doing stand downs or walk outs. Orthodox religion joining with corrupt authoritarianism is a recipe for disaster.

They were being dicks about confronting Russia anyway. How about we just steer all that Israel support to Taiwan for now? Taipei is a model democracy, no apartheid like conditions there either. Far more strategic to America's future as well.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Netanyahu seems cut from the same cloth as Trump, Erdogan, Bolsonaro, Orban, Putin...

Though I find it awkward that his anti-democratic instincts find expression through removing the power of the judiciary to constrain the legislature, while in the US it's the same judiciary that seems to be the prime mechanism for over-ruling democracy.

Also it seems like it's the same as everywhere else in that it's the most hard-line among the religious who have more children than everybody else.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Netanyahu seems cut from the same cloth as Trump, Erdogan, Bolsonaro, Orban, Putin...

Though I find it awkward that his anti-democratic instincts find expression through removing the power of the judiciary to constrain the legislature, while in the US it's the same judiciary that seems to be the prime mechanism for over-ruling democracy.

Also it seems like it's the same as everywhere else in that it's the most hard-line among the religious who have more children than everybody else.

This would sort of imply that the expression of one’s world view is driven by nurture acting on nature more so than the other way round. Get rid of dogmatic religious indoctrination and and more or less change human nature. The problem with understanding human nature, who we really are, free from conditioning, is the problem of the mentally I’ll diagnosing the mentally ill.

It’s the problem of the blind men and the elephant.

Hitler used the Jews to create fear and hatred as a way to rise to power and now the Jews have a convenient enemy to point to. We become what we fear.

The US should support a secularized Israeli state in my opinion, but not a religious one. But we also need to insure that what is happening there does not happen here.

People are people and pride in race, religion, party and endless other externals is insanity.

Oric

Oct 11, 1999

The US should support a secularized Israeli state in my opinion, but not a religious one. But we also need to insure that what is happening there does not happen here.

There are many US Politicians who believe that there will the day of the Armageddon and it will originate in today's Israel's lands. What better tool than a Nuclear and Conventional Power nation ruled by the Ultra-Right wing politicians ?

So your wish may not come true, they are all linked together.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
There are many US Politicians who believe that there will the day of the Armageddon and it will originate in today's Israel's lands. What better tool than a Nuclear and Conventional Power nation ruled by the Ultra-Right wing politicians ?

So your wish may not come true, they are all linked together.

Apparently Islam has it's own, analogous, beliefs about the nature of the inevitable apocalypse (in some forms also involving the return of Jesus), and their own version of the Rapture. Just with a different outcome.
it's the Muslims who go to heaven
I've read that it's particularly prevalent among Twelvers, a strain of Shiite Islam influential in Iran.
So there's a nice confluence of belief potentially all coming together there. Well, maybe not so nice for the rest of us.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Armageddon already happened. The fear and the longing for it to happen are all tied to that fact. We create what we fear to feel it again because only remembering can save us. But we would rather just get close to the terror by living fear vicariously than actually relive the the experiences of our psychic deaths.