anyone watch junkyard wars?

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
Dont know how long this show has been around but I have caught it on TLC the last two weeks...its about to come on and two teams have to make cannons out of things they find an a junkyard..very cool.

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
never seen that either..or do you just mean the small remote controlled robots people use to fight to the death? I have seen pics of them but never in action.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
The pbs station out of the local college here shows it every sat. night at 11.It is a british show hosted by one of the cast of Red Dwarf.The robots do fight to the death.It is real cool.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I watched it last week and I'm watching it now. The show rocks!!! I'm not into the voyeur thing like Big Brother or the bickering/backstabbing of Survivor. Junkyard Wars has some good teamwork building stuff that you never thought could be built out of junk. Although the items seem "conveniently" placed and both teams never build similar designs, its fun to watch. I guess being a hardware geek and do-it-yourselfer naturally draws me to the show. The British humor adds to it. It takes a real madman to mount a mass of metal covered with electrical tape to act as a "black box" on their "airplane."

Windogg

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
he he..I saw that last week windogg. The cannon episode was awesome, and this one about amphibious cars isnt bad either...and a commerical just now says they are having more episodes on later tongiht! w00t!

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
yep..just watched the amphibious car episode...as soon as the navy team sawed off half their prop, I knew they were going down! :p This show rocks, btw!

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thats it, lets get 8 AnandTechs into two teams. Each side gets to $2,000 to spend in For Sale/Trade. Team that builds the fastest system under Q3, Expendable, Winstone, 3D Marks, Sandra 2K, and few others running W2K is the winner. Imagine the possibilities.

Host: Team One, the "Overclockers" what have you got mate?
Team 1 Leader: We're pursuing a dual Celeron 366 OCed to 550 or more. We picked up some heatsinks that should bring up speed, Alphas I believe, but they are for Athlons. On top of this we are adding peltiers with a waterblock. We need to drill to make it fit on the slotket. We plan on OCing our 128MB of Samsung PC-100 @ CAS2 to 133+. If we can't get the bus speed up to 100Mhz or more, we risk having to run at 90Mhz bus. For video we will use a V3 3000 w/ heatsink removed. To get the video up we will strap a modified P3-Xeon heatsink. All this will go into a AOpen tower that fell off a truck. Its dented and the frame is bent possibly affecting airflow but invested in 10 120mm fans. We got some nice cutting tools to make blowholes.

Host: Team Two, the "Fklosters" take a different approach, tell me guys what do we have?
Team 2 Leader: We'll mate, we'll be taking a brute force approach. We went with a Athlon 850 for it great FPU. We've snagged 128MB of EMS HSDRAM for pure speed. We snagged a nice Hercules GeForce 2 for pure video speed. We snaged an Adaptec 2940 and will mate it to a very used Seagate Cheetah 10K RPM pulled from a fire damaged computer. We will see if we can nurse it back to health just long enough to win. There was no way we could afford a new one on our budget. Since we are spending all our cash on the latest and greatest, all of this will be screwed onto a piece of plywood.

trmiv2

Jul 13, 2000
Junkyard wars is a cool show. The amphibious cars one was funny. The car that that Navy team made was crap. They couldn't steer it on land so they crashed into the water and broke the hull, then once in the water all it would do is spin around in circles! Then it started to take on water and the prop they were using started hitting the water. Hilarious.
:)

That red team was great though, their amphicar looked like it could have made a few more trips around the lake.

The cannon one was great too. That one team made an awesome cannon that did some damage to the target. Meanwhile the other team couldn't even get the projectile to come out of the tube! ;)