Anyone watch Iron Chef?

helloedchen

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2000
www.gideontech.com
I've been watching this show on the food network for a while now...is it me or do they really make the Japanese sound dumb? Not to step on any toes here, but the dubbing on this show really mimics the old kung fu movies. Heard the show is coming to New York City soon to have a showdown with food networks own chefs...wonder how they are gonna dub that one

I used to watch it. It has a really dumb culty vibe to it. The dubbing is what makes the show. They always use the same voices every week, though the judges change. I love the ditzy voice for the actress judges and the fat judge who is on sometimes. I don't think anyone can possibly take that show seriously.

visgf

Dec 19, 1999
I watched that all the time until we moved. Now, AT&T gets the same amount of money for half the channel variety, which includes the cutting of the Food Network. :(

Crystal Bay

Oct 9, 1999
Emeril, is the mosst entertaining Fo Sure and a great Chef...

But His and all of our fathers is Paul Bocuse LYON- and dont Forget Roger Verget of Provence...

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The dubbing isn't what makes the show, it ruins it. I used to watch it when it was subbed, on KTSF here in the SF Bay Area.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
For a cooking show, it is highly entertaining. Too bad FujiTV decided to cancel Iron Chef.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Great show, but how come when they judge the food it seems like they like the challenger and they are very hard on the Iron Chef? Then after that they always choose the Iron Chef ;) I've only seen two challengers win ;)

p.s. Iron Chef in NY will air June 24th (or 25th) in a two hour special (on the food network).

Cheers,
Aquaman

soup or man

Jan 17, 2000
well you know what i think about Iron Chef, one time i was watching it an--FookiSan!!--yes, go ahead--i asked the challenger what in gods name he is doing with that potato and he told me thats for him to know and us to find out!! ahaha--ahaha--ahahaa--ahaha

HayZeus 2000

Dec 22, 1999
That would be Kitchen Reporter Shinichiro Ota. Yes, you can see him in front of the camera-he's the guy interviewing the chefs after they've done their cooking.

Edit: clarified

Does he say FookiSan? On the dubbed version it sounds like &quot;Quesie&quot; or something. &quot;Quesie&quot; &quot;Go ahead&quot; &quot;It looks like Iron Chef French is preparing the Lobster in a mustard sauce, with raw pickles&quot; &quot;<bimbo actress>Oh, hehehe, how interesting, ohhhhh. It looks tasty.&quot;

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
When Ota says that, he is referring to the main &quot;commentator.&quot; I can't remember his name(funaki)...The San is basically &quot;sir&quot; in japan...

HayZeus 2000

Dec 22, 1999
He's saying Fukui-san, usually so fast that you can't really hear the &quot;u&quot; :p

Edit: fixed my typos-I can't type!