anyone want some piranhas?

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
well my parents decided to move to flordia, and since i'm only home for the summers, away at college now in the winter and i can't take my boys with me. i need to find a new home for my 8" and 10" red bellies. 55g tank min. is needed, probably best if you lived close to fargo, nd/minneapolis, mn, but i suppose i can ship them out too (you pay shipping) otherwise they are free... any takers?

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I had a goldfish once, i kept it in a jar...my parakeet would walk around the jar and follow the fishy :)

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
those are some monster sized red bellies!!! the ones i had were 2" at best.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
yes... they eat about 15-20 large goldfish/day, about double their body weight. (diet varies from chiclid pellets, feeder goldfish, cow heart, beef stew meat and any other random meat/seafood that is available.)

i've really only had them for about 8 months, but I keep the water temp around 82 and feed them everyday to encourage growth.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: StarcraftGOD
Originally posted by: chiwawa626
I had a goldfish once, i kept it in a jar...my parakeet would walk around the jar and follow the fishy :)

HAHA thats leet ;)

w00t..i like u ... u seem to laugh or reply to the same threads as me :) welcome to AT

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
What ever you do, DO NOT turn them loose!!

Several years back someone pulled a HUGH piranha out of one of the lakes up here. And it had happend before. Luckly they were not pulled out of the SAME lake, or there could have been MAJOR problems..........

Piranha taken

And here

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Brutuskend

Several years back someone pulled a HUGH piranha out of one of the lakes up here. And it had happend before. Luckly they were not pulled out of the SAME lake, or there could have been MAJOR problems..........

i have no idea what this post means :confused::confused::confused:

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
What that post means is this. There are NO natural predators for these fish in the US that I know of. The native fish make GREAT meals for these fish, and they get BIG. There have been several of them caught in many states. If two (A male and a female) end up in the same body of water and BREED, I will never swim again!

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
do you have a list of which states they are legal in?
i'll go check google

heh, that was easy

Missouri Legal

hmmm... i have a 45 gal. Tall that is empty, but i don't think my wife will go for it, not with a 3 year old in the house, if the kids were grown up , i would be very tempted

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
shipping live fish is done all the time, you just have to use overnight, and pack them correctly
although those two are a bit on the big side and i am not sure what the "right" way to label the box would be
rolleye.gif

:D

Stiler

Banned
Nov 21, 2001
i know how you could label it, "caution if you drop, tilt, break, please stick your finger inside for the surprize"

Lunarcade

Apr 5, 2002
What that post means is this. There are NO natural predators for these fish in the US that I know of. The native fish make GREAT meals for these fish, and they get BIG. There have been several of them caught in many states. If two (A male and a female) end up in the same body of water and BREED, I will never swim again!

I know I've seen this somewhere... Only it was on Sci-Fi and included giant radioactive piranhas. And those things might eat my dog if I kept feeding them like that so I'll pass. ;)

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
i dunno if red bellies are the notoriously super duper vicious piranhas u speak of.

stev0... how vicious are these fishies?

HamSupLo

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
if no one wants them, sell them to your local fish store. These aren't pacaus, right?

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: jooksing
if no one wants them, sell them to your local fish store. These aren't pacaus, right?

or dip them in breadcrumbs and deep fat fry 'em :D how's that for a natural predator ;)

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Piranha taken

And here

Your "and here" link is a link to a pacu, definitely not a piranha and not even a carnivore. They will on occasion eat dead meat, but are primarily herbivores and prefer plants and weeds to meat.

I used to own several piranha as well as a couple pacu fish.

Joe

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
what slag said. not only is that fish a pacu, but there is a very slim, if any, chance that a piranha can live in a freshwater lake, unless of course the water is some where around 70 degrees at the bottom, where they would spend 90% of their time. also, just because you have a male and a female piranha together, dosen't mean they will mate... and eve if they did, like i said earlier, the water would be too cold for the fry to hatch.

shipping piranhas isn't really a problem, I've done it before, and especially now that it is the summer.

fobot: i wouldn't let them go to a smaller tank, they are out growing the 55g breeder that i have them in now... that would be a shallow 55 gallon tank if you didn't know.