Anyone using Win11 with a Canon inkjet over USB? (intermittent 'printer not responding' error)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've got three customers with three desktop PCs (Intel Comet/Rocket Lake, same board) I've built on Win11, all three using Canon all-in-one inkjet printers and all are intermittently receiving 'printer not responding' messages when attempting to print. The print jobs get queued as expected and a Windows restart gets printing going again.

I have a few theories, though it complicates matters that one customer didn't experience the issue until about 20 print jobs in over many days (shutting down Windows each day), whereas the other two experienced the issue within a day of the PC's on-site installation (and yes, I tested printing/scanning on that day), and one has experienced the issue more than once.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
I don't know if it will be any help to you but, we have 2 Canon MX922s here used by 4 computers running Windows 11. Each printer is hooked to 1 computer by USB and accessed by the other 2 wirelessly.
Any of the 4 computers can access either of the printers directly wirelessly or as a network printer.
One computer connected by USB has Canon drivers and software installed, while the other connected by USB does not.
USB be is set to not turn off, and the Power Plan is set to Ultimate Performance on all PCs.
Basically everything just plain works.
The only blip we have found is that once in a very long while, the printer (either) does not wake from sleep mode when the print job is sent to it. Resending the print job always wakes the printer and prints only one job.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If the printer has WIFI and it is On, in some printers if there users with Tablets/Laptop that use the Direct connect, it might "HighJacked: by a Direct Print connrction thta stay as Default.

:cool:

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
I have a Canon Pixma TS6020 I am using with Windows 11 Pro over a USB cable with no problems. My desktop does not have wifi. On the printer screen under Settings I have Wireless LAN set to inactive.
I did a firmware update on it several months ago before upgrading to Windows 11. Not sure if that helped but you may want to check if there are firmware updates for their printers. The current firmware version can be checked on the printer screen under System and System Information. https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/ts-series-inkjet/ts6020-black/pixma-ts6020?subtab=downloads-firmware

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I have a Canon Pixma TS6020 I am using with Windows 11 Pro over a USB cable with no problems. My desktop does not have wifi. On the printer screen under Settings I have Wireless LAN set to inactive.
I did a firmware update on it several months ago before upgrading to Windows 11. Not sure if that helped but you may want to check if there are firmware updates for their printers. The current firmware version can be checked on the printer screen under System and System Information. https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/ts-series-inkjet/ts6020-black/pixma-ts6020?subtab=downloads-firmware
Good idea, I hadn't considered that, thanks.

ASK THE COMMUNITY