anyone using pc104 or other single board computers?

ninensei

Sep 18, 2000
Not yet, but I've been looking into it. It's a tough pill to swallow when you look at the price differential between a larger PC form factor and something in the PC/104 form factor with the same (or more likely less) performance and features. I sent a message off to VIA to ask if they were looking at offering something in the PC/104 form factor since they had made such inroads with the mini-ITX form factor. Their answer, received just yesterday, was a resounding 'Yes'! I think that this has the potential to really shake up the industry.

thornc

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2000
Check this out...
Krontron PISA Sloc-PCs
At the lab were using the CoolMonster/S and CoolMonster/C3 in a few projects...the CoolMonster/P3 would be nice for a small system!

Not as small as pc104, but small than most pcs... and bit more compact than itx!

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
that looks really cool. multiprocessor in a single case. do you need a computer with isa slots or just a backplane that supplies power?

thornc

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2000
The two coolmonsters are being used in two seperate projects, similar ones actually they're connected to backplanes that supply power
and pci slots for data acquitition and gps cards... they're being used in remote data acquisition systems!
We're using an ide flash disk to store the operating system which at the moment is Windows NT Embedded!

YoungAnimaniac one of these would be perfect for you, the Coolmonster/C3 isn't very expensive and has everthing you would need.
The price might be a bit more expensive, but they seem more rebost and reliable than most computer systems...I should know one
of them has already been at sea...inside a buoy!! Can't give every detail of the projects but I think you can get the picture.