Anyone using a TNT2 or G400 in an i845?

bluemax

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2000
Because of the worries with 3.3 vs 1.5 voltage, I have to be careful.
I'm getting a trade offer for a TNT2 (Creative Labs) or a TNT2 M64 (yecch... but more likely to work.) I could trade that TNT2 for a Rage128GL (will work for sure) or a Matrox G400.

I think the G400 is the nicest option.

Anyone using a TNT2/G400 in a new Intel 845 board without frying?

Nafets

Oct 9, 1999
This is a copy and paste from the Matrox Tech Support forums:

Topic: What graphic cards are supported on a motherboard that requires a 1.5v graphic card?

- Our G-400 and later graphics cards, be it AGP4x or AGP2x, are compatible with virtually all motherboards.

However, if the motherboard calls for a 1.5V card ONLY to be installed, the 2x versions of our G400 card may not work properly.

We've identified the G400 boards that support AGP 4x transfer rates with
an additional '4A' in the part number: G4+MDH4A32GB/40.

G400 boards without the '4A' in the part number will be the models that may not work with 1.5V only motherboards.

Please note that all models of the Marvel G400, G450, G450 eTV, and G550 series are not affected as an agp 2x version of these cards do not exist.

vss1980

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2000
As for the TNT2, its a bit hit and miss. Some sites report that it works fine, others that it could have problems. As far as I have seen, the later TNT2's (ie. ones based of the last designs such as the TNT2 Pro and M64 chips) seem to be the better ones to have, but in all honesty you are better off just checking yourself with a multimeter.

This site was one of the first to point out this problem and have pointed out a few cards with problems.

Edit: Should point out that there is no guarantee even the last of the TNT2 cards will function, its just more likely any manufacturing errors would have been corrected by then. Also, if you read the article, even some GF2 boards have problems.