Anyone use Yahoo DSL?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
In Laws want to get online faster. They currently pay $25+ for dial-up AOL. But all they use is email and internet so the rest of the AOL suite is useless to them.

I may have them sign up with Yahoo's DSL system through AT&T/SBC since it's like $13/mo.

Has anyone used Yahoo's software? I know they have their own browser and stuff like that which includes the parental controls. We have a 14 year old niece that comes to visit and they'd not want her getting to sites she shoudln't.

Only problem is I;ve heard that when you install their software, it installs all the other crap that I don't want. I will be hooking this up through a router so the router will handle the logon info and such.

But ew might jsut not worry about it and have the niece use the laptop wirelessly in the living room so she can't be doing things she shouldn't. heh heh.

Any thoughts?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The first issue is Not the software per-se but the log On.

The software is needed to log on with the PPPOE.

Big mistake to do so since you are gearing yourself to an inferior Internet connection.

Why? Read this, DSL PPPOE and Cable/DSL Routers.

So, if you do decide to use A Router, than the software is Not needed (actually it might hinder your connection).

There many other good means to protect yourself and your niece.

For you own system protection this might help, Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection Protection.

You can install configure and keep handy this for your niece visits, http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Parental_Filter/pfilter.html

:sun:

n19htmare

Jan 12, 2005
Aol is a total ripoff and a half.
Do they use their AOL email because I think if you cancel, you lose that email account. If they are willing, I would switch over to DSL right aways.
The software doesnt really need to be installed in my opinion. Just use a regular browser like IE or Firefox. Also, the email can be set via Outlook or Outlook express. And if you are on the go, you can check emails on yahoo.com
AOL suite is horrible, its a resource HOG and SLOW.

Another thing i wanted to point out is that Yahoo/DSL offers 2Wire modems which have a router built in. This way, you never to dial via PPoE and it's always connected and on top of that you get the router.

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
I would not touch the Yahoo DSL installation CD. The SBC network is stable and work as advertised (1.3 to 1.4 speed).

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
This is exactly what you're looking for.

This actually does not cover your exact situation. Just look for the registration links. Once the modem is installed, navigate to the registration link where you can set up their account. Username and password and such.

I would suggest leaving the router out of the mix initially until the account is established and functional. You will have to log in initially with the modem. Afterwards, you can log in using the router. You will want to set the modem up in bridge mode.

Edit: Had to run as dinner was ready. Here's the info you need from that page;
"sbcyahooreg@sbcglobal.net" with password "sbcyahooreg", then visit "support.sbcglobal.net/register" to set up a permanent user name and password.

I find it best to connect with the modem first to help with troubleshooting issues. SBC frequently says that DSL in enabled on the line when in fact it is not. It's one of those right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing situations.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
The only part of the software I wanted to install was the front end stuff. I will be using a router so I know I don't need the software to do the logging on and such. And for 99% of the time they don't need the front eend stuff anyway, it's just for those times that the kids are around.

And they won't spend any money on any extra Parental Control stuff and since Yahoo has it included, I thought it might work. But of course if it's either install Everything or install Nothing... THen I'd opt for the Nothing end of it.

But they don't use their AOL for anything except email (only from family so changing is no big deal) and when the niece does chatting (but AIM could always be installed if needed). SO maybe we'll just opt for not installing anything and see how it goes.

Kibbo86

Oct 9, 2005
Call their tech support.

I'd be willing to bet money that their agents know the file paths needed to pick and choose which software you want to install.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
I use SBC Yahoo! DSL at home. It's not bad, but I danced this same little dance when I first got it. Believe it or not there's a standalone install for a PPPoE client on the disk, as it's required by the software's license with Yahoo. They are not, however, required to tell you it's there. I forget the name, though it's just as well since there's better stuff out there.

The only reason you should install SBC's software is if you're going to directly connect the modem to a computer running something prior to WinXP. XP has built-in PPPoE support (the connection protocol SBC uses) and it works significantly better than the Yahoo software. The browser is literally a skin for IE, much like AOL's software is now. Don't bother with it; you just get IE, but slower.

If your folks are using 2000 or 98/ME (or, God forbid, something older) and are using a slower system you should look into RaSPPPoE, which will allow them to dial the DSL modem just like it was a normal dialup modem.

This is, of course, assuming you don't just buy them a cheap ethernet router off of newegg or somewhere else online. It'll handle the conneciton automatically and provide them with a firewall at the same time. All they have to do is plug the computer into the router and off it'll go, no fancy configuration necessary. Seriously, look into it. It'll save a lot of hassle and I've picked up decent wireless routers, nevermind non-wireless ones, for $10.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
The main reason they wanted the software was for the Parental Controls...

THey have a Dell Laptop with WIndows XP. I'm providing them my old Netgear MR814 router so they can go wireless.

And I'll probably just forget about all the software anyway and just see what happens. Of course this is all assuming I can talk them into getting rid of their AOL since it's just a big money sink...

I guess we'll see what happens.