Anyone use TeamViewer to remotely manage crunchers?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just wondering how well it works, especially with GPU crunching going on.

I may be installing a cruncher at a relative's house, that is not really that computer-savvy. so I would like to be able to remotely manage it myself.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
TeamViewer? No. VNC? Yes.

Whether GPU crunching would make things difficult probably depends on the GPU and the crunching. ;) And the drivers - BOINC's been slow to react when GPU crunching since I had to upgrade to 310 nVidia Linux drivers. :\

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
Assuming RDP has been allowed at the router level, you could try mRemoteNG. I use this at work for server work, and it is rock solid. This is a fork of mRemote (which is no longer supported). Regardless if it is an Windows 2003 server 400 miles away, or a Windows 7 in the next cube, the application works like a charm.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I've used Teamviewer for managing computers using bitcoin and/or BOINC/FAH. I only remember it being slower if both the CPU and GPU were fully loaded, but it was still doable.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
You could always try LogMeIN as well. It has the capability to tunnel through routers.

spencers

Aug 21, 2003
I just use TightVNC.

I VPN into my network and use Screens on my iPad/iPhone to control each computer.

Just make sure the computers are named if they don't have static addresses.

I installed iStat server on each machine as well so I can monitor system info.

Last edited:

pattysam

Dec 11, 2012
Try with Lepide Remote Admin It would be the secure option for remotely access of PC with crunching issue as well

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Teamviewer rocks once you have it set up for remote administration, I honestly don't think can be beat. The client is so robust, no dorking with port forwarding, just works... It's freaking free, too.

I have it installed on PC's across the Midwest that I "support" and couldn't ask for a better tool.

I would love to use it for work, but their licensing sucks balls for SMB.

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
does anyone who uses TeamViewer also have experience w/ LogMeIn too? and does anyone who uses LogMeIn also have experience w/ TeamViewer? it seems the LogMeIn users swear by LogMeIn, but the TeamViewer users seem quite fervent about TeamViewer too.

blckgrffn, i feel the same way about LogMeIn as you do about TeamViewer, but i have no personal experience with it.

sangyup81

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2005
Teamviewer rocks once you have it set up for remote administration, I honestly don't think can be beat. The client is so robust, no dorking with port forwarding, just works... It's freaking free, too.

I have it installed on PC's across the Midwest that I "support" and couldn't ask for a better tool.

I would love to use it for work, but their licensing sucks balls for SMB.

That sounds exactly like my experience with logmein.com
I'm starting to suspect they do the exact same things

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
haha, sounds like both tools are good enough that once you find them "your search is over."

Plus, you have little incentive to setup multiple of the "aggregate all your clients into one management console" type applications, it just doesn't make sense.