Anyone use PS3 to stream movies?

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I recently backed up my Battleship BR to my PC and was trying to stream it to my ps3 but it kept saying the file was unreadable. I thought I read somewhere that the ps3 has problems reading large files. My file was about 6.2 Gbs. Anyone else have issues streaming large files to their ps3? The file plays fine on WMC & VLC on my pc, just can't get it to read on the ps3. It's a wired to my network with Cat6 cable, so there isn't a problem with bandwidth or anything.

Venom20

Apr 12, 2011
Can't say I had an issue, but the largest file I streamed was high 4.x or low 5.x gigs. Are you using playstation media server? that's what I used and did not have any issues.

Note: I say "had" because this summer I made the switch to htpc+nas, so I no longer use the PS3

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Can't say I had an issue, but the largest file I streamed was high 4.x or low 5.x gigs. Are you using playstation media server? that's what I used and did not have any issues.

Note: I say "had" because this summer I made the switch to htpc+nas, so I no longer use the PS3

I was able to get it working. Not sure what the difference was but I originally used handbrake to encode the movie, for some reason that didn't work. PS3 couldn't read the file. I ended up using MakeMKV, then encoded it to .mp4 using RipBot and now it works. Weird, using HB it was ripped to mp4 and didn't work, but going through the other process worked. And it's about the same file size. I'm using Plex media server. Couldn't get ps3 MS to work properly on my whs11 box.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Plex is fantastic. I have been struggling with Handbrake of late...I had been using it without issue and with the batch encoder front end for a while, but lately I keep screwing up.

I have to get off my ass and re-encode my movie collection. I still love to use .iso files, but not everything can play them, and my old Asus O!play, while reliable, is getting long in the tooth from an interface standpoint.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Plex is fantastic. I have been struggling with Handbrake of late...I had been using it without issue and with the batch encoder front end for a while, but lately I keep screwing up.

I have to get off my ass and re-encode my movie collection. I still love to use .iso files, but not everything can play them, and my old Asus O!play, while reliable, is getting long in the tooth from an interface standpoint.

Are you able to use Plex from a client outside of your network? On my laptop, I have the Plex client installed, however, when I'm out of town, say at my parent's house, I can't get Plex to stream on their network. But if I try and stream from my phone it works ok.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Haven't tried. I liked Plex so much I got the Android and WebOS clients for my Touchpad. Then I rebuilt my computer with Windows 8 and haven't started Plex back up again.

Definitely the most stable streaming software I have used. Some people rave over the PS3 Media Streamer, but I never cared for it nor the PS3 as a client.

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
As mentioned above, this really is your best bet.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

I used it for several years, until I was finally fed up with lags, stutters or incompatibilities with certain codecs and containers, that I got myself a dedicated HTPC.

The support forums at PMS are pretty good, however. Good chance you can find a solution there. Bottom line was that some files needed a lot of tinkering, consuming many hours just to make a few files work...

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
I was able to get it working. Not sure what the difference was but I originally used handbrake to encode the movie, for some reason that didn't work. PS3 couldn't read the file.

This happens to me every so often when I forget to check "large file size" for MP4's in Handbrake. I'd guess that's what you did.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I recently backed up my Battleship BR to my PC and was trying to stream it to my ps3 but it kept saying the file was unreadable. I thought I read somewhere that the ps3 has problems reading large files. My file was about 6.2 Gbs. Anyone else have issues streaming large files to their ps3? The file plays fine on WMC & VLC on my pc, just can't get it to read on the ps3. It's a wired to my network with Cat6 cable, so there isn't a problem with bandwidth or anything.

It's the video/audio codec issue. I don't recall file size causing issues with PS3 for media playback.

I just use the built-in navigation through WMP. PS3 should pick up a media server right away, and will attempt to organize things for you. (which is a pain in the butt) But other than that, everything works fine. "Everything" that PS3 can recognize.

FleatUWP

Oct 15, 2012
Are you able to use Plex from a client outside of your network? On my laptop, I have the Plex client installed, however, when I'm out of town, say at my parent's house, I can't get Plex to stream on their network. But if I try and stream from my phone it works ok.

You can set up media sharing remotely by just port forwarding the proper ports for Plex. In my experience, I had issues with any HD files streaming due to my limited upload speed on Time Warner Cable. I have 50 down / 5 up, and testing from a 30 down / 5 up connection it would stutter like crazy. I tested on another computer with Plex, from the iPad app, and the Android app and experienced basically the same results. The share your library with a friend functionality is pretty nice though.