Anyone use Netflix on a regular basis?

joe678

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
How long does it usually take to send/recieve the movies? wat do u think about the overall service...

SuepaFly

Jun 3, 2001
I live near sacramento and the place I ship my movies to is in west sacramento. My overall thoughts:

1. After I've finished watching a movie, it takes 2-3 days (closer to 3) to get a new one.
2. Almost all the new movies I want to see have been on "short wait" or "long wait" for a very long time. I've run out of movies to watch.
3. Sundays slow things down considerably with the 3 days I've got to wait...so if I send out on Thursday, chances are that I won't get a new movie until Monday.
4. All the movies I've gotten are in good shape and no real problems.

joe678

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
is the BB pass regional? i guess netflix deal is good if u not into driving out to nearest BB and dont watch as many a month...

Zclyh3

Banned
Oct 16, 2001
When I dormed in San Jose, I received 3 DVD's every other day. So here's how it goes.

-3 movies on Monday...watched them all on the same day and returned them the same day.

-They receive it on Tuesday, and my other 3 goes out.

So basically I get about 9 movies per week times 4 weeks which equals 36 movies a month.

36 movies a month for $22.50? I think it's worth it.

geoff2k

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2000
I've been with them for about a month. They have a distribution facility near me (Gaithersburg, MD), so the mail takes about two days each way (sometimes quicker).

The convinience factor is pretty big for me -- I go to the post office often, so "returning" the DVDs is not a big deal, and their selection is bigger than what I can get at my local HollywoodVideo/Blockbuster stores.

Echoing what suepafly said, I can see us hitting a wall where we've gone through all the "old" movies we want to see, and all that remains in our queue are new releases. At that point we may consider going back to a B&M store and cancelling the Netflix account.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: joe678
is the BB pass regional? i guess netflix deal is good if u not into driving out to nearest BB and dont watch as many a month...

I believe the BB DVD Pass is nationwide but I could be wrong. Why not call your local BB and find out?

Zclyh3

Banned
Oct 16, 2001
Also, Netflix is starting to lag now cause more people are joining with less movies. They need to step it up and order more movies or I might consider canceling myself. But I'll give it 2 more months.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Last week, I read they were testing the DVD Pass in select regions with different pricing in each region, but I read a local article yesterday saying it was available already.

Pooteh

Aug 12, 2002
its excellent if you know how to use it. its selection just kills blockbuster, and well blockbuster sucks anyways because they don't carry directors cuts/unrated special eds. prudes:p plus they don't really care for widescreen if they can help it:p

anyways, i use the 2 out for 14bux? i forget:) i get a dvd back every 2-3 days because i send em back the same day or the day after i recieve one. so thats 2 every 2-3 days because i have 2 out plan. if i don't have time to watch it, i just whip out smartripper and rip the full dvd to my harddrive menus and all. that takes 5-7GB ussually. hd space is cheap these days:) with windvd4 you can open folder as dvd and retain all features/menus, very nifty.

if your not that nutz, then just use a 3-4+ out at once plan.

anyways its true that with netflix you can't always get thing you want in exact order, but the selection makes up for it. many indi films, foreign etc. just keep your most wanted at the very top. then again, i've added over a hundred movies into my queue:p right now as i type i'm watching "house of yes".. its a parker posey movie:p if you only watch hollywood blockbusters i guess u might have less to watch, but that applies at blockbuster too.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Netflix was rated highest in an article in today's Wall Street Journal. Blockbuster was second but was panned for being expensive and having limited selection.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: joe678 is the BB pass regional? i guess netflix deal is good if u not into driving out to nearest BB and dont watch as many a month...
I believe the BB DVD Pass is nationwide but I could be wrong. Why not call your local BB and find out?

Yes, you are wrong. :p;)

Unfortunately I don't even think its regional as much as its store by store. Nothing of the sort in Chicago unfortunately. :(