Anyone Use ING Direct?

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
What's the catch?

ING

Earn 3.00% Annual Percentage Yield on an FDIC-insured savings account with no fees, required minimums or service charges? no matter how much you have on deposit

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
I have an account with them. My balance has gone from $500 to $0.01 and I never had any fees. I haven't found a catch. I left my account with $0.01 for 4 months without a problem. I am really happy with ING Direct.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I do. They're backed by one of Europe's largest financial groups and yes they are FDIC insured. Traditional brick and mortar banks which have branches (this is an internet only bank in the U.S.) have A LOT of overhead for retail space, employees, supplies, vaults, security, etc.

3% for a savings account kicks ass, beats my local Credit Union's 2% and definitely beats my bank which is under 1%.

Hot Deals thread with a lot of information regarding ING Direct.com

Tangerine

Jul 25, 2001
They are getting more popular now, with TV and billboard ads. So now when I refer my friends and family they aren't looking at me like I have a hole in my head when I tell them to send in a check for a dollar and make $25.

I'm very happy with them, no fees, and plenty of referral money joy.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Can you pay bills of this account? Or would you have to transfer money to checking first?

How quick / seamless is transferring money to different accounts?

How can they get away with no fees?

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
You can't do ANYTHING special with the savings account. All you can do is link it to your checking account and transfer money between the two. All my transfers have gone seemlessly.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Codewiz
You can't do ANYTHING special with the savings account. All you can do is link it to your checking account and transfer money between the two. All my transfers have gone seemlessly.

I agree, all my transfers have been really easy, fast and painfree.

Your ING account should basically be used as a SAVINGS account (not checking, not credit card) but a SAVINGS account.

Tangerine

Jul 25, 2001
Right, the transfers back and forth between ING and my checking account have been very easy, the money shows up in a couple of days.

And it makes spur of the moment saving easy. I just transfer some over to ING and don't miss it :)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Tangerine
Right, the transfers back and forth between ING and my checking account have been very easy, the money shows up in a couple of days.

And it makes spur of the moment saving easy. I just transfer some over to ING and don't miss it :)

Same here. I plan on transferring around $100 per month to my ING Direct savings account for a travel fund.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: Tangerine

Same here. I plan on transferring around $100 per month to my ING Direct savings account for a travel fund.

I'm doing the exact same thing, except just $60 a month. Wife and I are going to Hawaii next year again and this will be the rental car "upgrade" fund. Can you say Convertible baby!!!

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
I got an account way back when and got my free 50 bucks. I immedietly took the money out because I thought it was a scam somewhere but I kept the account open and later on decided... hey this seems like a good bank, and put 800 bucks back in for a savings account. I've had it in there for a while now and its growing nicely

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Yup. I signed up when they first started offering the $25 bonus. 'course it helped that a friend of mine worked for ING, so I trusted the company. To date, I've accrued about $450 in interest on my account, averaging about $25/mo. Not too shabby. Tho' the rate was 6% at one time. Those were the days.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: prontospyder
I have used them for about a year already. I'm really satisfied with their service and rates!
what do you mean by "rates"

interest rates? or are there fees i'm not seeing?

It seems like this is an entirely free service. I don't get where they make money.

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
They make money by investing the funds you have deposited. They can then turn around and loan this money to a business, person, or another bank. A friend of mine once worked in a division at BofA where all he did was borrow and loan money to other banks for the evening. Each day the bank estimated how much available cash they needed and tried to send the extra to other banks for a small interest fee.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Spooner
Originally posted by: prontospyder
I have used them for about a year already. I'm really satisfied with their service and rates!
what do you mean by "rates"

interest rates? or are there fees i'm not seeing?

It seems like this is an entirely free service. I don't get where they make money.

Rates also means interest, it does NOT mean fees.

There are two free resources at your disposal to answer your questions:
1) Go here look in the top right, what does it say?
2) Before I opened my ING Direct savings account I had questions so I called them toll free at 1-800-ING-DIRECT and they were more than helpful. They won't bite, go ahead and give them a call.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
<<what do you mean by "rates">>

I meant the high 3% interest rate (compared to my bank) I get. ING Direct has not charged me 1 penny for using their services.

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999
I have used ING Direct for two years now keeping between 15-20k in there in that time.
- You can't beat the 3% APR, it goes higher if interest rates change
- You get six free withdrawals a month
- Transfers to and from my checking account are fast and easy
- Hasn't cost me a dime

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I save like a mofo using ING.

I have direct deposit on the 15th and last day of the month from work.

I have ING configured to automatically withdraw $250 on those days.

I have a nice nest-egg growing at 3% which is better than some CD's ;) (well 2.95 right now...)

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I have an acc't w/them, but have not really used it. Maybe now I will start.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
yeah, looks like I got to get on this

3% is much better than my .0000000000000000000000000000001% i'm getting from my bank
rolleye.gif

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I was thinking of starting a money market/cd fund, and this fits the bill. Their cd rates are great, and I might use their bank accounts as well :) Cool.