Anyone use FreeDSL and what is the maximum distance from Switching Station?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Helpless, Dec 15, 2000.

1. Helpless

Helpless Banned

Greetings,

Finally, they are offering DSL in my area, but it's from FreeDSL...just wondering if anyone uses their services, and if it's worth the money...I would pay 19.95 a month for 384bps, so no banners...but wondering what the maximum distance is to get those rates...heard within 6 miles of switching station, but I am not sure :)

Also, I know with the free service, they track your activity, then sell the info...do they do the same with pay services? ...hate for big brother to be watching me while I surf for...ugh...educational stuff :)

2. jacobnero6918

jacobnero6918 Senior member

I was just told 8,500 feet and 17,000 feet if they install repeaters. The 6 miles sounds like sdsl which is slow at about 144kbps.

BTW the company is called Winfire now not Freedsl. For $20 @ 384kbps it sounds excellent (that is what I signed up for but still can't get).

3. Helpless

Helpless Banned

Thanks for the info...Yea, 19.95 for the 384kps and they sell you the modem for $99.00 clams...could pay 34.95 for the 680kps plan and get a free modem, but I think I would rather get cable for that price...19.95 and I could keep my dish :)

4. Wedesdo

Wedesdo Platinum Member

i'm using it now - i'm 11500 ft away.

it's been great btw. only took them 1 month

5. goog40

goog40 Diamond Member

Damn damn damn, I checked my phone # on their page and it finally says I am in their area. Sweet! And I get the free modem for the referral thing, so I go ahead and choose the free 144 kbps service cuz I'm a cheapass and fill out all the info. When I'm done, it says Verizon(GTE's my local phone company) doesn't provide DSL in my area. I am very sad indeed:(:(:(

6. Helpless

Helpless Banned

Okay, it says I am 3290 feet from a CO, which I thought was like an ISP's HUB, but it's the local phone company building, I see :) Yea, one right up the street....but I am unable to find any other providers that use it...so my question is, how can I find out if this is the CO that winfire/FreeDSL will use?

It may sound like a dumb question, but we have a *bazillion* of them in my area, since it's a bunch of cities all interconnected :) And, being 3290 feet away, I should be smoking on the throughput, right? :)