anyone use Capital One car loans?

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003

I'm looking at auto loans at Capital One auto finance (use to be PeopleFirst). They have 60 month loans at 3.85% and no fees for paying off early... assuming the dealer won't give me a better rate, I'd like to have this to fall back on or barter with.

Anyone use them before?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I did. When I originally got the loan it was PeopleFirst. CapitalOne bought them out. Thankfully the loan is now completely paid off.

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
I got a loan through them a few months ago, it was very easy. Got approved quickly (within 24 hours), you need to set up automatic payment through your bank account to keep the low rate.

Actually if you have a Costco membership, go through Costco's website and you'll get an even lower rate!

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: benchiu

Actually if you have a Costco membership, go through Costco's website and you'll get an even lower rate!
:Q I DO have a Costco membership! Great tip!!

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Approved! I got a $24K loan a month out of grad school at 3.6%. They say they'll knock off another 0.25% if I buy the car through the Costco Authorized dealer thing. I'll look into that.

They also say they'll beat any other "qualified" loan that I'm offered. :Q

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer
Approved! I got a $24K loan a month out of grad school at 3.6%. They say they'll knock off another 0.25% if I buy the car through the Costco Authorized dealer thing. I'll look into that.

They also say they'll beat any other "qualified" loan that I'm offered. :Q

Nice!, what kinda car you getting?

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
The whole Capital One presence bugs me... if it's anything like their credit card, I wouldn't go through them.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I would sooner eat poo than use a crapital one card, but if you can get a rate like that go for it.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Nice, what kind of car are you getting?

Capital One sucks (regardless of what NFS4 says) ;)

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
For credit cards, I wouldn't touch Capital One, but for car loans, it's a no hassle deal.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Capital One approved my $24K car loan with me only a month out of school, and they did it in less than thirty minutes.

I'm okay with that. I've never had a Capital One credit card.

I've asked for "Internet prices" (fleet prices) from several local Honda dealers on 2004 Honda Accord coup V6-EX (heated leather seats, power moonroof, six CD changer, etc. all standard). I've gotten two responses since this morning... both are several hundred dollars under invoice, and I (hopefully) won't have to deal much with car salesmen.

For instance, a Toyota dealer called me this morning to sell me a truck through the Costco program. He said he has exactly what I was looking for right there on the lot. I asked him what that was, and he had no idea. He started rattling off some options until I asked if it had the convenience package, and then he was like, "Yeah, and it's the only one in the state!" How much? "Oh, I can't tell you over the phone. It's against the law." Really?? "Oh yeah, it's that federal privacy act law. We can't make calls and tell people a price over the phone. You need to come in."

Yeah.

With my 3.6% Capital One rate in hand, I'm in a much better position to negotiate with Honda's 1.9-3.9% (up to 60 months) incentive rate.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I got double hosed.

I had a Peoplefirst loan which is now Capital One and a home loan which was bought by Washington Mutual.