Anyone use a sound card?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
I have a few old ones laying around (early 00s probably). Might pop one in. Not sure how much better they would sound over what's on the motherboard though. Especially on my speakers, which I desperately need a new set of.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I have a few old ones laying around (early 00s probably). Might pop one in. Not sure how much better they would sound over what's on the motherboard though. Especially on my speakers, which I desperately need a new set of.
I guess one good use of them is to load up SoundFont banks for kickass MIDI.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
I guess one good use of them is to load up SoundFont banks for kickass MIDI.

I don't see any reason to use an old sound card for MIDI playback when software synthesizes like FluidSynth can play them just as well, without the size limitations on SoundFonts the old cards imposed.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Would anyone recommend an Audigy 2 ZS for 23$ over the Audigy 1 I have right now?

Bought an Audigy 2 ZS, and popped it into my Win7 PC, based on the convincing recommendation earlier in this thread. Works great. I *think* I can hear a difference over my onboard audio, but my system and gaming are MUCH more stable now and the driver package is so much better. Sound quality may be not the A#1 reason to avoid onboard, but it certainly helps. Great purchase.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I use a E-mu 1212M as digital transport to feed my DAC (and the rest of my audio setup).

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Audigy 2 ZS in my gaming rig, and the 4550's HDMI audio in my HTPC. Both sent to receivers.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Apologies for bringing up such and old thread, but it looks like im in the minority here: still rocking a Chaintech AV-710. I use the output with the Wolfson dac to my Onkyo receiver and stereo speakers and sub.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I recently installed my Audigy ZS from 10 years ago. Been using onboard for 5+ years via SPDIF output but I got rid of my big receiver and just bought a stereo analog amp now. I am using analog where the Audigy has very clear sound. Digital is all the same but when it comes to analog, I know the 107dnr produces very clear sound.

thelastjuju

Nov 6, 2011
Good to see some others are resurrecting old Audigy ZS's!

They are solid sound cards! Only tricky part is finding the right drivers. I needed to do some weird little workaround to install mine on one rig , but I've been good ever since.