Anyone use a service to pick up expiring domain names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
There's a domain that expired May-26th that I'd like to get, but it's not available for purchase yet..but apparently there are services that you can pay $60 or so for to get. Anyone ever use them?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
There's a domain that expired May-26th that I'd like to get, but it's not available for purchase yet..but apparently there are services that you can pay $60 or so for to get. Anyone ever use them?

You can do this directly thru Go Daddy IIRC, it costs more about $100 unless I was inquiring about the wrong thing (I let a domain expire last year) if the domain has entered the redemption period you can snatch it up. But if you wait about 80 days total you can get it for whatever the normal domain fee is where you normally register. I use Go Daddy so they're $12.95 right now. Unless somebody has paid extra to have it registered to them as soon as it's out of the lock period, which is 5 days after the 45 day redemption period. If you don't think it will be free when the period's up I suggest you email your hosting. I host with HostPC and they offered to register my expired domain during the redemption period. The $$$ was too much so I decided to register something new. I know from personal experience that back ordering can be tricky if the domain's popular enough to have multiple people going after it.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
it's probably still in the grace period. 30 days or something like that. i just started checking ever few hours around the expiration of the grace period and was able to grab the one for my name.

Status
Not open for further replies.