Anyone use a raspberry pi for their HTPC?

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I know some people doing this, but I'd like to hear more real world stories on how it's worked out so far, if anyone wants to share.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
The Broadcom chipset is not powerful enough to stream large MKV 1080p video files properly or online 1080p well enough... codec support is not up to par with other SoC that are more mature...

It is not ment to work as a cheap HTPC, it is ment as a cheap pc to teach poor kids in 3rd world countries how to code and programming...

The founder of Raspberry Pi foundation is an employee of Broadcom = pumps up or increase SoC sales...

tivo1

Sep 12, 2002
there are I think three different releases of XBMC for the pi... i couldnt get one to work... 2 of them do, but one was better than the other... so far 720 stuff works good, but 1080p off of an attached USB is choppy... havent tried a 1080p iso yet from my raid 6 box over the network. (that should be smoother)

But when i get some more time... i plan to do so.

ZetaEpyon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah, I got one of the XMBC releases running on the Pi. It's pretty slow, but does work. Streaming 720p stuff worked OK, as long as you didn't want to pause it or seek or anything.

Picked it up mostly as a toy, but I wouldn't want to try using it as a full-time HTPC just yet. Might be better after more development and optimization has gone into it.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Meh, a dumpster PC will perform better and in the end Windows 7 + is required for HD audio.