Anyone Up On Wells?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
New place had a well and is now on city water. The well is used to run lawn sprinklers.

The owner mentioned that the well needed to be winterized to keep it from freezing. I assume she means the pump.

She didn't know what was involved in winterizing it or how deep the well is.

What should I know?

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Shallow well jet pump or submersible pump? Maybe she was talking about winterizing the sprinkler system? We have an air fitting going to the sprinkler line. Pressurize it and open each sprinkler valve to purge the water

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Shallow well jet pump or submersible pump? Maybe she was talking about winterizing the sprinkler system? We have an air fitting going to the sprinkler line. Pressurize it and open each sprinkler valve to purge the water
Submersible.
Her husband used to take care of it but he passed away. So she doesn't have much info.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
May have to ask someone nearby what they do. Here in the south, i just shut off a valve to the sprinkers. I leave the pump on so that I can use frost proof hydrants. I guess if you are in the frozen north you may just want to shut the pump off. There would be no way I know of to drain the actual well pipe down as there is a check valve on top of the pump.

Some sprinkler systems will have a low point drain for each valve. May be best to let an irrigation company do it this first time and let them find everything

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I worked for many years winterizing cabins and camps in northern WI. Typical procedure is to shut down power to the well and then hook up an air compressor to the system. Ideally close to the pressure tank, usually right on the Tee, using an adapter. You can make one with a short piece of garden hose and an air fitting, or just buy something like this.
Breezliy 2PCS Brass Winterize Adapter, 1/4 Inch Male Quick Connecting Plug &3/4 inch Male GHT Thread &1/4 Inch Ball Valve with 2 Pcs Washers for Winterize RV Boat Camper Trailer: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
You are just going to build up pressure in the system and release it at all of the downstream locations. Id usually keep repeating the build and release till the air coming out was no longer throwing droplets.
I have never had to deal with sprinkler systems, Im assuming the idea would be the same.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
yes blow off the lines, that is it. My brother rents a big compressor every year to do it for all the fam in the area.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
Is the well used over the winter for watering or shut down completely? I have to insulate the small nipple (1/2" or so) that comes off the main line to the pressure switch. Being so small it freezes up quickly if left exposed. This small bit freezing shuts the whole thing down so no water until it thaws. I wrap it in insulation tape, followed by heavy duty tape, then the whole thing gets wrapped with towels and finally that gets covered in a heavy duty black trash bag to help warm things up in the sun should it still freeze up.

Reactions: Meghan54

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Had a company come out and winterize.
Our house, when first built was on a well.
Eventually city water came and they hooked up to that.
Except, outside water in still on the well.

They shut the well breaker off, hooked up an air line to a hose bib and then set the sprinkler timer to run for two minutes on each zone. That blew out the sprinkler lines.

There are 3 bleed valves on the well/backflow valve. They opened those one at a time and blew the well lines out.

I guess that's all there is to it.

Reactions: killster1