Anyone underclock during the summer heat?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Cars + Ice + no 4wd = suicide.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: aigomorla

And a good set of winter tires! I bet that driver didn't have winter tires installed. Here in Quebec the government made winter tires mandatory for winter driving. I hated when I heard about the new legislation but after looking at this video I've reconsidered my decision. :p

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Markfw900
You can't see from the video, but the ground is one big sheet of ice, they can't stop, but they should have never started is the problem.

The other thing not obvious, I am pretty sure this is on a steep hill (the west hills area, near the multnomah club if I remember). The car may stop for a minute after hitting one, then continue.

C'mon Mark, man up and just admit it - the person "driving" that car in the video is you, isn't it? ;) :laugh:

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I'm kind of amused at all the people milling around in the street, just casually watching or ignoring the out of control SUV / van.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
Originally posted by: dmens
portland is hitting 105F today, but i am still cranking away at 4+ghz. i wonder how hard the AC has to work once i put the 42 inch TV, the 5.1 receiver and some speakers in my room along with the computer lol.

this is weird but ill actually stay at work for a little longer until the car cools down a bit.

Originally posted by: Idontcare
I love visiting Portland on any of the ~40days of blue skies it's citizens get to see every year...visiting on any of the other 325 days, not so much. :laugh:

visit during winter... you get to witness this awesomeness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeiMJQrvk

WTF is wrong with that person? Just STOP. Good god.

You can't see from the video, but the ground is one big sheet of ice, they can't stop, but they should have never started is the problem.

are you kidding me?
- the driver is a complete moron; (s)he actually completely stopped several times
- if you are driving on ice and are going to hit something - then hit it and stop; put the car in park and exit the van and fall on your face .. much safer than taking out ALL the cars on a street ... most people do not realize that you *can steer*; you just cannot stop :p
:confused:

We have very strange weather in Southern California .. we are cooling off in the high desert
- double digits for the next few days
:gift:

The other thing not obvious, I am pretty sure this is on a steep hill (the west hills area, near the multnomah club if I remember). The car may stop for a minute after hitting one, then continue.

intelligent drivers will minimize the damage and will "wedge" the car when they know they are going to be in a crash
- as i said, it looked like a moron driving
:confused:

i wonder what their insurance costs now :p
:D

i lived in the Southern California mountains, also in Colorado, and i can drive my car better than the people with 4x4s .. generally when it is icy, i don't bother to drive - because of the OTHER drivers who are hard to miss

i do not understand how people can spend years of their life behind a wheel and have no clue how to really drive
. . . \But then .. there are people who are "experts" who also have no clue about the workings of their PC
Untrue. Stupid + Ice + 4WD & snow tires = accident anyway
rose.gif

damn .. it was only 98F at its peak today ... in the DESERT!!
- too cool .. sorry for you North Westerners who aren't used to it

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: AmberClad
I'm kind of amused at all the people milling around in the street, just casually watching or ignoring the out of control SUV / van.

Hah, that was what caught my attention, also. While I try not to be a 'rubbernecker', if you're careening down the street toward me, driving an SUV sideways, don't expect me to be looking elsewhere.:)

Back on topic, not anymore because I no longer try to overclock as far as they will go, but I used to have to lower my overclocks during the summer.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Idontcare

C'mon Mark, man up and just admit it - the person "driving" that car in the video is you, isn't it? ;) :laugh:

No way, I have a 4wd with CHAINS. I was rescuring everyone last winter. I wouldn;t even take my truck with chains on that road, but those people in that neighborhood have more money than brains IMO.

Percussionist

Dec 22, 2008
I live in the Portland area as well (Oregon City) and was thinking of underclocking my rig after the past few days of nastiness. After seeing the power go out two times in the last two days I'm thinking it might be a good idea to give our house's circuits a breather!

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AmberClad
You'll never get enough experience in Western Oregon to drive safely in the snow & ice, but you'll learn quickly how to watch a slow-motion car wreck.;)

As for the topic at hand, I didn't have to underclock anything, but I did have to kill my GPU clients like Mark did. All that heat adds up quickly when it's 108 outside.:Q

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
No, but then we had a nice cool summer here in IL. I think we only had a couple of weeks when temperature broke 85 degrees.

Pederv

Golden Member
May 13, 2000
BIG change last night! The night before was 90F at 10PM, last night was 70F at 10PM. The house is still retaining some heat, my daughters room was 80F this morning but her computer is behaving.

I've found that when you know your vehicle and how to read the road you can pretty much drive through anything. Has worked for me when driving through a blizzards in Salt Lake City, passes in Montana or 200+ miles of icey I5.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
snow + los angeles = nuclear winter

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
I always build in a 7c margin when OCing my CPU since my PC is in an office directly over the garage. Although air conditioned, with wood floors, and a ceiling fan, it still is the hottest room in the house in the summer. So..I'm good to go at my sig's settings. CPU loaded runs ~ 55c now, and sub-50c in dead of winter.

readymix

Jan 3, 2007
i just played around with vista's processor power management and can say i could live with a 1600 mghz cpu. glad i don't have to though.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Maybe I've never lived in a place that didn't have full blown regular AC, but why wouldn't you just set it at like 72 and be done with it. Are electricity prices in the northwest really high or something?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: sticks435
Maybe I've never lived in a place that didn't have full blown regular AC, but why wouldn't you just set it at like 72 and be done with it. Are electricity prices in the northwest really high or something?

Most of the people right along the West coast rarely see temps above the 80s F even on the (regular) hottest Summer days. It is a very cool place and most people do not bother with AC [yet :p]

Hawaii is like that also; the cooling trade winds blow 330 days a year
- the other 30 days, the locals survive mostly without AC and it is tolerable but very warm

i am lucky. i don't use AC - ever - in the Southern California high desert
-- it is SO damn dry we use [cheap] evaporative cooling. The 15-30 days (a year) with humidity, we get by
-- and i would be looking for a sweater when the temps drop to 72F in my house in the Summer .. i like 78 F
rose.gif

the bonus is cheap electric bills
:sun:

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Fair enough. It was 92 with a Heat index of 100 or so here today and tomorrow. Strangely enough, it got down into the high 50's this past weekend, I was wearing jeans. We have a love/hate reltn with weather here.