Anyone try the Wii yet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
The Wii display unit is the one of the most bizarre and most unusable displays that I have ever seen.

The one I saw at gamestop was a slim white column with the box locked in a plexiglass box on top of the column. The flat panel monitor was perched above the plexiglass. The problem is a bright neon strip running down the middle of the white column and through the plexiglass right up to the monitor. It is so bright that monitor does not display the graphics well and the brightness is distracting from the features of the box and of someone actually trying to figure our the wireless controller and watch the screen. If someone was on the fence for buying one for Christmas, they certainly aren't positioning it as well as it could be. Maybe they think the newness and the buzz is enough for everyone that they don't need to show it off.

Anyone have the same display?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: Adaman
I tried it out at gamestop. They took my drivers license in order to use the controller. :roll:
Anyways, I wasnt impressed with it. I played some racing game and it looked like a nintendo 64 game. Im not buying one.

I doubt it looked like and N64 game, and the graphics aren't that important anyways...if they are that important to you, buy a PS3 or 360 (if you don't have one already). Gameplay is what matters, most people know that these days. I don't know how the Wii will turn out, but to judge it just based on graphics is just dumb, though i assume you didn't like it for other reasons as well...but all you mentioned was you didn't like the graphics.

So I get to be the one that makes the ole' "gameplay over graphics" argument :p - It's true though.

Well, for $500, or however much it's gonna be, it better look better than a nintendo 64 game.

Try $250, a lot cheaper than $500.

I dont care if it's $250, and I dont care if it's $50. Im gonna go buy a used super nintendo + 50 games for $40 instead. One more Wii out there for you.

Uhh ok, I was just telling you how much they cost :roll:

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by: jman19
I tried it out at gamestop. They took my drivers license in order to use the controller. :roll:
Anyways, I wasnt impressed with it. I played some racing game and it looked like a nintendo 64 game. Im not buying one.

I doubt it looked like and N64 game, and the graphics aren't that important anyways...if they are that important to you, buy a PS3 or 360 (if you don't have one already). Gameplay is what matters, most people know that these days. I don't know how the Wii will turn out, but to judge it just based on graphics is just dumb, though i assume you didn't like it for other reasons as well...but all you mentioned was you didn't like the graphics.

So I get to be the one that makes the ole' "gameplay over graphics" argument :p - It's true though.

Well, for $500, or however much it's gonna be, it better look better than a nintendo 64 game.

Try $250, a lot cheaper than $500.

I dont care if it's $250, and I dont care if it's $50. Im gonna go buy a used super nintendo + 50 games for $40 instead. One more Wii out there for you.

how about buying a wii and downloading from the virtual console?

hahahahahahaha...

nycxandy

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

It's $250, which shows how much you know about the Wii.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: nycxandy

Apparently I dont know much about wii. :laugh:

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com

its okay krunchy. its basically a revamped gamecube with the ablilties to play any nintendo game ever made ... something like that.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Apparantly you don't know much about Nintendo 64 either.

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
so does a set of fake keys+fake id=free Wii-mote?

*edit* ahh, found this on a different site...

I spoke with one of the managers for an EB Games near my school about the Wii kiosk they're getting. When asked how they'd secure the Wiimotes, he said, "Oh, no, Nintendo's coming down with a huge fine on any store that tethers the Wiimote to the kiosk." He then went on to mention that Nintendo wants the demo units to have all the freedom of movement that the home unit will have.

As far as making sure people won't run off with them, he gave me two intesesting pieces of information: One, the person wishing to try it out has to present a driver's license or credit card to check a Wiimote out. Two, and more interesting, the demo Wiimotes are keyed to the demo console, so even if someone stole one they couldn't use it for anything.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Well...Krunchy is cluesless here :p, but I hope most people who don't know anything about the Wii actually like it when they try it. If they're turned off by the graphics, they can go buy a PS3 for 600 or an XBox360 for 400. I'd hate to see that happen though, I'd like to think the newer generation of gamers (12-17) are smarter than i think and won't just focus on how good the graphics are. I think if a game isn't fun, then people will get bored of it pretty quickly, no matter how good the graphics are. Nintendo is going to try to market to the non-gamer crowd, while still pleasing gamers, and long time Nintendo fans. They hope people who have never spent much time playing video games will give the Wii a try. Of course, it would seem like it would be unlikely that a non gamer is going to walk into an EB, and hand in their car keys to play a system they don't know anything about. So hopefully places like EB will start to just offer Wii controllers to people who walk in the store, and tell them to try a game, without asking for keys/ID. That would help a lot. Maybe they will lighten up on the 'hand in your ID' policy after the Wii is released.

You can't compare the PS3 or 360 to the Wii. Not saying that they aren't as good as the Wii or better (I haven't tried the Wii yet obviously), just that the Wii is something different from PS3 and the 360, PS3 and 360 are comparable to each-other, but you can't really compare either of them to the Wii.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
None of the gaming stores in Tucson has the Wii available to demo, they all seem to have the Wii, but don't have any controllers i guess. I asked around, was hoping they'd just ask me for ID and i could try it out like people here said, but nothing going. One of the stores said they might have it available to play a day before it's launched, bleh. Ah well, I guess i'll just have to wait till it comes out to try it.