Anyone tried out V Rising?

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
I grabbed this as it just hit early access. Sort of a cross between Ark and Valheim with a vampire theme. Pretty fun so far, not sure how much longevity it'll have since the world is static.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Can we talk about the game having 2 day one DLCs and one that costs more than the base game?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Can we talk about the game having 2 day one DLCs and one that costs more than the base game?
From what i can tell it's all vanity gear, the game itself is a lot of fun, can be played pve, pvp, private server etc....

Feb 4, 2009
What’s the game about. I keep hearing similar to Valheim but I never see any building and the play videos make it look like Diablo.
Is it open world?
Is there building stuff?
Is there “survival” as in find food or supplies and fight off base attacks

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
>>What’s the game about. I keep hearing similar to Valheim but I never see any building and the play videos make it look like Diablo.
Is it open world?

There's base building, but it's designed as a top down/iso Diablo style view and controls.

>>Is there building stuff?

Your castle is your base, along with various upgrades for processing materials to upgrade weapons/armor/ Gain new powers by killing PvE bosses.

>>Is there “survival” as in find food or supplies and fight off base attacks

Once you get your castle up with a roof, there's no reason you couldn't just hang out there, but with the base hitpoints you probably won't be doing much. Need gear to be able to kill anything. You can feed on various denizens of the world to improve your blood type and gain additional effects based on the type of thing you feed on and the quality of their blood (creatures give move speed and sunlight resist, warriors give weapon increase and faster cooldown I think, etc)

Only thing I don't like is the map is static, so you'll know (in general) where everything is after a few sessions.

You can also choose a PvP server with full loot and castle raiding if you want the Rust/Ark experience and competitive with other players.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
From what i can tell it's all vanity gear, the game itself is a lot of fun, can be played pve, pvp, private server etc....
When a large part of the game loop is building and outfitting a base, so called 'vanity gear' is an important part of the game.
No matter how you look at it, the devs are basically carving out a part of the game that they already built that you have to pay extra for.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
When a large part of the game loop is building and outfitting a base, so called 'vanity gear' is an important part of the game.
No matter how you look at it, the devs are basically carving out a part of the game that they already built that you have to pay extra for.
i look at it like i got a 30+ $ discount on the game for something i don't care about

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
i look at it like i got a 30+ $ discount on the game for something i don't care about
But did you though? Do you really think that the game would have had any chance as an early access survival game on Steam at $60?
No, they made it $20 because that it the market price for a game like that, then tried to hide the extra cost behind day one DLC.
You say you don't care about the extra building pieces and such, but this is a building survival game. Take away that and you have what, 10 hours of gameplay?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
But did you though? Do you really think that the game would have had any chance as an early access survival game on Steam at $60?
No, they made it $20 because that it the market price for a game like that, then tried to hide the extra cost behind day one DLC.
You say you don't care about the extra building pieces and such, but this is a building survival game. Take away that and you have what, 10 hours of gameplay?
It's just vanity cosmetics that you can show of to others, it has no actual affect on the game itself. There's way more than 10 hours of game play.

Game seems to be doing well enough, over a million copies sold, it's decent fun

Feb 4, 2009
Mah, I think current day DLC gets too much crap for what it is. Extra stuff in this case cosmetics for people willing to pay more. All businesses want to expand revenue, all businesses want to have more customers. If selling the base game low brings in more people that’s fine with me.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Mah, I think current day DLC gets too much crap for what it is. Extra stuff in this case cosmetics for people willing to pay more. All businesses want to expand revenue, all businesses want to have more customers. If selling the base game low brings in more people that’s fine with me.
You make a compelling argument. It might be that I am just reacting because I am resistant to change. It feels like this is a slippery slope, but when I look at it realistically that happened years ago.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Super fun game. Been playing it a lot. At 54 hours I bought one DLC for $9.99 which adds some cosmetics. To me, $10 was a way to put a few more bucks into their pocket for a game that is better than any AAA game I have played this year so far. I do refuse to pay $29.99 for that other DLC. It's just more cosmetics and though I dig the game a lot, I just don't care about those.

The game has a Valheim feel for sure with a touch of Conan Exiles (due to taking servants and such).

No food or water is needed to survive. As you play a Vampire blood is what you need and you do need it often. There are multiple blood types and the quality of blood makes a huge difference to your Vampire build.
You don't earn experience points but you do have to get your gear level up to be potent. That's determined by what recipes you have learned, and bosses you have fought.

The building/crafting system is pretty straightforward and most items are locked behind different benches. Castle building is fun. I really enjoy building and crafting. There are a ton of resources to collect. At 70+ hours I have a lot left I have not accomplished.

There is a long list of Bosses. Each boss, once beaten, usually provides one or two magic powers and a recipe or two, and sometimes a new bench to craft with. Boss fights offer a fair challenge for sure. Not only do you have to worry about their abilities and tactics, but the time of day and your blood quality is a big factor too, not to mention your gear level.

What can I say? I really enjoy this game. There is a ton to do and experience. Hopefully, they expand the map but as it is, it is 100% worth the $20 entry fee.

v Rising.jpg

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
Super fun game. Been playing it a lot. At 54 hours I bought one DLC for $9.99 which adds some cosmetics. To me, $10 was a way to put a few more bucks into their pocket for a game that is better than any AAA game I have played this year so far. I do refuse to pay $29.99 for that other DLC. It's just more cosmetics and though I dig the game a lot, I just don't care about those.

The game has a Valheim feel for sure with a touch of Conan Exiles (due to taking servants and such).

No food or water is needed to survive. As you play a Vampire blood is what you need and you do need it often. There are multiple blood types and the quality of blood makes a huge difference to your Vampire build.
You don't earn experience points but you do have to get your gear level up to be potent. That's determined by what recipes you have learned, and bosses you have fought.

The building/crafting system is pretty straightforward and most items are locked behind different benches. Castle building is fun. I really enjoy building and crafting. There are a ton of resources to collect. At 70+ hours I have a lot left I have not accomplished.

There is a long list of Bosses. Each boss, once beaten, usually provides one or two magic powers and a recipe or two, and sometimes a new bench to craft with. Boss fights offer a fair challenge for sure. Not only do you have to worry about their abilities and tactics, but the time of day and your blood quality is a big factor too, not to mention your gear level.

What can I say? I really enjoy this game. There is a ton to do and experience. Hopefully, they expand the map but as it is, it is 100% worth the $20 entry fee.

View attachment 62118

I'm getting stuck in the level 30 bosses. That bear keeps kicking my butt. (around 41 GS)

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
@akenbennu I have found some of the bosses to be more a challenge than others. I've beaten 17 of the bosses so far. For me the hardest ones were:

Goreswine the Ravager
Putrid Rat
Polora the Feywalker
&
Nicholous the Fallen

I usually find the battles where the boss spawns multiple mobs to be the hardest. For me movement is key, being able to avoid the big hits. Each boss runs through their attacks in a specific order and once you figure that out you can avoid the big damage (usually).

I have been taking on bosses that are on par or slightly higher than my gear level. Look at the color of their name, if it's yellow or white, you should be able to defeat the boss but if it is red, then it will be a bigger challenge for sure.

Also, I usually pop a potion that boosts my spell power for 20 minutes before each fight. Then I swap my skills around as well because certain boss hits are hard to avoid so a shield is great to have.

During the fight with the bear, I avoided his AOE attacks as much as possible, using spells to hit him from a distance and the shockwave sword attack to get to him fast, beat on him and then sprint out. For my sprint, I liked Veil of chaos because it gives you two sprints back to back with a certain amount of time to pop the second sprint when you want. This allows you to avoid the AOE attacks slightly better.

Just constantly be on the move, outside of the bear's attacks, only sprinting in once in a while. In and out, pop spells and you'll eventually beat him. If you have a friend to play with, get him in to help.

When roaming the world you will bump into bosses as they walk around. The roaming bosses are great because even if you are well below their gear level, you can use the NPCs in the world to help you, get them in a battle with other potent creatures or NPCs, and let them work each other down before jumping in to deliver the killing blow. I have done this twice now both times by chance discovery while doing other things.

Anyway, good luck!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've been watching a stream of this game and I think I'll pick it up. I didn't try Valheim but this one looks more interesting.

On the stream I noticed wherever the guy went, he had a hard time finding a location to build his base. Almost every raised vantage area already had a castle. I could see myself getting bored just wondering around looking to do the same thing.

I suppose if you choose a less populated server you might have better luck. I won't be getting any of the dlc because I usually don't play these type of games that long. I actually haven't touched anything else since elden ring on PS5 so this and sniper elite 5 might be good for a change of pace.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I thought it was off line with an online option. Am I incorrect?
It was always online from what I've been reading. The latest patch allows offline mode on your own network where you have to enable this setting when you start your own private server, basically LAN mode. This is probably only recommended to learn the game since ideally it's made to be played in co op or pvp/pve with others.

As far as game options I'm seeing PVE is recommended for beginners as I've never played these type of games. PVP is similar to the previous mode but players can attack you and destroy your castle, take your resources, etc.

Then there is full loot pvp which is like hardcore mode.

If you don't start your own private offline server you choose between public, private or dedicated servers each housing pvp or pve modes.

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
@akenbennu I have found some of the bosses to be more a challenge than others. I've beaten 17 of the bosses so far. For me the hardest ones were:

Goreswine the Ravager
Putrid Rat
Polora the Feywalker
&
Nicholous the Fallen

I usually find the battles where the boss spawns multiple mobs to be the hardest. For me movement is key, being able to avoid the big hits. Each boss runs through their attacks in a specific order and once you figure that out you can avoid the big damage (usually).

I have been taking on bosses that are on par or slightly higher than my gear level. Look at the color of their name, if it's yellow or white, you should be able to defeat the boss but if it is red, then it will be a bigger challenge for sure.

Also, I usually pop a potion that boosts my spell power for 20 minutes before each fight. Then I swap my skills around as well because certain boss hits are hard to avoid so a shield is great to have.

During the fight with the bear, I avoided his AOE attacks as much as possible, using spells to hit him from a distance and the shockwave sword attack to get to him fast, beat on him and then sprint out. For my sprint, I liked Veil of chaos because it gives you two sprints back to back with a certain amount of time to pop the second sprint when you want. This allows you to avoid the AOE attacks slightly better.

Just constantly be on the move, outside of the bear's attacks, only sprinting in once in a while. In and out, pop spells and you'll eventually beat him. If you have a friend to play with, get him in to help.

When roaming the world you will bump into bosses as they walk around. The roaming bosses are great because even if you are well below their gear level, you can use the NPCs in the world to help you, get them in a battle with other potent creatures or NPCs, and let them work each other down before jumping in to deliver the killing blow. I have done this twice now both times by chance discovery while doing other things.

Anyway, good luck!

Bear and Quincy finally down. Fighting the bear on horseback is the way to go. Gets you out of range of the rocks and easier to dodge his charge in phase two.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

Erodar

Mar 24, 2015

The game has a Helldivers 2 key feel for sure with a touch of Conan Exiles (due to taking servants and such).

What can I say? I really enjoy this game keys. There is a ton to do and experience. Hopefully, they expand the map but as it is, it is 100% worth the $20 entry fee.

View attachment 62118
I'm getting stuck in the level 30 bosses. That bear keeps kicking my butt. (around 41 GS)

I totally agree, it is a great game. A huge surprise that I personally did not expect. I have played V RIsing for a total of 150 hours and I can say that it is a work of art.

What I do advise you, and it is the mistake I made from the beginning, is to start playing with friends. Everything is much easier with friends, besides fun, it is true that you can play alone, but playing with friends is priceless. The PVP if you don't go with a team, unfortunately you can be the most powerful vampire and they will annihilate you.

The game is very fun to play alone, but playing with friends is priceless. In PVP, if you don't go with a team, unfortunately you can already be the most powerful vampire that will annihilate you.

Last edited:
Reactions: KMFJD