Anyone took defensive driving course to reduce insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
How much did you pay for the course, do you think it is worth it?

Most of the insurance sites only ask if you took it in the last 3 years, do you have to keep taking it to get the benefit?

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
I took one mainly to get my main license faster (8 months instead of a 12) during my G1/learners period.
It did reduce the insurance a great deal on my parents cars (which I am covered under) the course cost about $400. The insurance hit for my parents was further reduced when I got my full license

edit: it wasnt exactly defensive driving, but just a drivers ed course

jRaskell

Feb 6, 2006
No. I took one just to keep my license. At that point, it had no impact on my insurance whatsoever.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I had to as a state employee, but state farm here in Montana at least does not give any discounts for it unless you are a senior citizen.

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
yeah i took one a few years ago.

Cost ~$40 and was like 6 hours long

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
yes quite a few years back for $45. Signed the paper and left (yes cheated the system). Haven't done it again yet because it isn't all that convenient these days.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I've done the defensive driving and advanced class for an additional 5% discount. Took them as classes which are mostly a joke, run by state cops here in DE and once it was an hour and the other time it was 10 minutes. Another time took an online class which was 2 hours of mindless clicking, just make sure it is certified by your state/insurance company.

Status
Not open for further replies.