Anyone successfully use Lucid Virtue?

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I think the idea of switchable graphics on the desktop is a great idea, but it seems to not quite work correctly.

I upgraded from an Athlon x2 3800+ to a 2500k, so this is a whole lotta new tech coming my way. I'll get an SSD eventually to take advantage of the caching, but I'm a bit bummed that I paid for a Z68 board to have its hybrid GPU not working correctly.

Borderlands crashes with Lucid on, some games don't use the discrete GPU fully, and you can't access the BIOS because it skips right to Windows login upon bootup. On top of this ATI Catalyst errors out, so I installed the drivers only.

Anyone successfully using Lucid Virtue with an ATI card? If so, that may convince me to do a total reinstall and try again. I also noticed that NVIDIA cards seem to be more compatible with Lucid, any insight on this?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I used it successfully, until I started playing a game that didn't support it. If your video card and the game are on the list, it should work. Borderlands is on the list. What video card?
http://www.lucidlogix.com/download/Virtu%20Release notes 1-2-106 Aug 9 2011.pdf

You shouldn't have problems going into the BIOS. It might not show on the screen fast enough so just hit the "enter bios" button (usually Del) when you think it should be on the screen.

The only thing that you mentioned that is an issue that i'm aware of is the ATI error message. It's not like the ATI drivers are crashing, it just says that you don't have an ATI card installed. Annoying, but not that bad really.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I tested Lucid on an old 9600 gso while I waited for my 6870 to come in and Borderlands along with other games worked on the NVIDIA card.

When I installed the 6870, I had a lot of problems, such as Borderlands crashing upon start.

GotNoRice

Aug 14, 2000
I run 2x 4870x2 in Quad-CF so the potential for me to save power using this tech is immense.

Unfortunately for me it really failed to deliver. It worked well in the sense that it would switch back and forth between the integrated GPU and discrete GPUs automatically, but it never did anything special to power down the discrete cards other than just keeping them idle. The thing is, if I'm not in a game, my videocards are already idle, meaning this tech in it's current form is good for absolutely nothing :rolleyes:

In addition to that, Catalyst Control Panel wouldn't load. MSI Afterburner (which I use to OC, control the fans, and display info on my G15) was acting strange.

They are working on a new version that supposedly uses the integrated GPU in conjunction with the discrete GPU(s) to give increased performance. I might try it again if/when that comes along but for now, unless I'm missing something, this tech is useless.

Last edited: