Anyone still think highly of the Star Wars sale to Disney?

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Everyone seemed so excited when the sale was announced, but I haven't seen much of any positive gains since the fact. So far:

-The Star Wars license was taken away from Dark Horse comics and given to Marvel, another property of Disney.
-The Expanded Universe was thrown under a bus.
-Lucasarts has been gutted, all it's employees laid off.
-Clone Wars was canceled prematurely, leaving entire story arcs like Maul's unfinished.
-Numerous promising star wars games like 1313 and others were given the axe.
-With Fox owning the rights to episode 4 forever and with the rights to 5 and 6 not falling to disney for many years, we're still no closer to getting the unaltered originals on bluray.

The only potential pro seems like Episode 7, which itself could just as easily be a con depending on how it's handled and how much you enjoyed Star Trek Into Darkness.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Excited? I think it was pretty much reviled when it happened.

Star Wars was crap after the 80's so no one cares anymore.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
-The Star Wars license was taken away from Dark Horse comics and given to Marvel, another property of Disney.
Indifferent

Good.

Who cares. LucasArts has been dead.

-Clone Wars was canceled prematurely, leaving entire story arcs like Maul's unfinished.
Clone Wars sucked.

Probably were going to suck.

-With Fox owning the rights to episode 4 forever and with the rights to 5 and 6 not falling to disney for many years, we're still no closer to getting the unaltered originals on bluray.
Argh!

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Nope, still good. Why would Episode 7 under Disney/Abrams be any worse than Episode 7 under George Lucas?

LucasArts had been dead for a few years anyway.

Expanded Universe isn't tenable if you're going to make your own new series of films, too much crap.

Apparently people supposedly like Marvel comics, I think? Don't know, not a comic person.

Unaltered originals would never happen under Lucas anyway, so Disney or not makes zero difference.

Random games that would probably suck like most of the other recent games, oh no! Also it doesn't really matter since most games aren't that special story wise anyway, and the non-story part you can get in other games of the same genre. Unless they had a top notch story, there's no great loss from the games.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Everyone seemed so excited when the sale was announced, but I haven't seen much of any positive gains since the fact. So far:

-The Star Wars license was taken away from Dark Horse comics and given to Marvel, another property of Disney. This is great. Dark horse is to spotty.

-The Expanded Universe was thrown under a bus. I'm mixed on this. some of it was great but some sucked.

-Lucasarts has been gutted, all it's employees laid off. big deal. lucasarts been dead for years

-Clone Wars was canceled prematurely, leaving entire story arcs like Maul's unfinished. yeah that sucked. but to be fair it was getting stall toward the end

-Numerous promising star wars games like 1313 and others were given the axe. again blame lucasarts for fucking around

-With Fox owning the rights to episode 4 forever and with the rights to 5 and 6 not falling to disney for many years, we're still no closer to getting the unaltered originals on bluray. big deal. like GL was going to release it

The only potential pro seems like Episode 7, which itself could just as easily be a con depending on how it's handled and how much you enjoyed Star Trek Into Darkness.

it's not great that disney got it. but better then what lucas has done lately

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Marvel was the first comic company to handle Star Wars IIRC. Though Dark Horse did do a really good job. I'm rather indifferent to this one though

There's a lot of crap in the expanded universe. Especially the post-Jedi stuff. Yes, Rogue Squadron, Heir to the Empire, and Jedi Knight are no longer canon, but neither are the Vong or the cloned Emperor. Besides, it's not like those works have been thrown into a burner. They're still out there and available for sale.

LucasArts hadn't produced a halfway decent game in years. They really went under when the adventure division was shut down way back in 2003. Telltale games and Double Fine are the heirs to LA.

Never got into that show. Frankly don't care about the prequel era.

This one was unfortunate, but given LucasArt's track record with Force Unleashed, maybe it was for the best.

Also unfortunate. However, Harmy's Despecialized Editions are fantastic given what he had to work with. You can still tell where he spliced in the laserdisc scenes, but it's very impressive for a fan edit. Especially one done by one guy.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
Maybe it's due to my ability to not get obsessed with stuff like star wars/other franchises, but as soon as I saw the star wars sale I knew it had "jumped the shark". It's just another IP in Disney's entertainment world. It won't be long until you see rides involving mickey giving space tours and shit, ruining any environment star wars was known for.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Everyone seemed so excited when the sale was announced, but I haven't seen much of any positive gains since the fact. So far: -The Star Wars license was taken away from Dark Horse comics and given to Marvel, another property of Disney. -The Expanded Universe was thrown under a bus. -Lucasarts has been gutted, all it's employees laid off. -Clone Wars was canceled prematurely, leaving entire story arcs like Maul's unfinished. -Numerous promising star wars games like 1313 and others were given the axe. -With Fox owning the rights to episode 4 forever and with the rights to 5 and 6 not falling to disney for many years, we're still no closer to getting the unaltered originals on bluray. The only potential pro seems like Episode 7, which itself could just as easily be a con depending on how it's handled and how much you enjoyed Star Trek Into Darkness.

Never was excited. I thought that Disney might not act like the huge movie studios out in Hollywood but I was wrong about that misguided new hope. I was one of the few that thought that even Lucas could ruin Star Wars less than the huge content companies.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Lucas fucked up the Star Wars franchise himself, so it doesn't really matter what Disney does at this point.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Shut your whore mouth.

no offense

It had its moments, I'll give you that. I watched the first 4 seasons or so, don't remember exactly. I liked the ice planet episode and the one with the invasion of the dark planet. Way too much crap though. 20% good 80% garbage. I tried watching it again recently and just couldn't. Too painful. Could have been so much better.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It had its moments, I'll give you that. I watched the first 4 seasons or so, don't remember exactly. I liked the ice planet episode and the one with the invasion of the dark planet. Way too much crap though. 20% good 80% garbage. I tried watching it again recently and just couldn't. Too painful. Could have been so much better.

You owe it to yourself to watch the last 3 episodes of Season 5.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
is this really a negative? I don't see how it could be outside of being a Dark Horse homer and/or Marvel hater, and given Marvel's recent success I'd even argue it being a good thing...

the EU was pretty bad outside of the Thrawn trilogy, it wasn't thrown under a bus as much as put out of its misery. The Sequel Trilogy laying waste to the EU is a definitely a good thing as it means we're at least back to normal odds of whether or not the new movies will be good.

a bad thing only for sake of nostalgia, its not like LucasArts has done anything spectacular as of late anyway; the heyday was 90s and early 2000s before the taint of the prequel trilogy took over. It can be unfortunate if it comes to it, but sometimes dead weight needs to be dropped for the whole to be better off

another good move, that was just more nonsense pandering far too much to children

You have to name the other promising games, otherwise it was just 1313, of which that game really wasn't promising because it was Star Wars, it was promising because of the tech behind it, i.e. it wasn't guaranteed to be a particularly good game, the only guarantee was that it would be pretty. Force Unleashed was a promising game with first impressions, but was ultimately pretty average and not very memorable, unlike Knights of the Old Republic or the Jedi Knight series (those games were 10+ years ago now...)

if anything what kept us from getting an unaltered release of Star Wars was Lucas' own ego, which is now effectively out of the equation because he's now no longer in control, meaning the only thing keeping us from getting such a release is lack of demand on the part of the consumers.

its not like studio collaboration is unheard of, Universal put out an Alfred Hitchcock box set that contained films belonging to Paramount and MGM.

2017 will be the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, I honestly would be surprised if we don't see something by then.

are you saying Into Darkness was bad? Because the majority feel it was at least nearly as good as 2009 Star Trek with each respectively scoring 8.0 and 7.9 (i.e. very good) on IMDB, and commercially it was also more successful...

I just don't see how Ep7/sequel trilogy can be a con:
1. chances of it being as bad or worse than prequel trilogy is close to impossible
2. we wouldn't even be getting a sequel trilogy if not for Disney
3. if you're a purist who hates the prequel trilogy and like to pretend that only the original trilogy exists, then you can keep doing the same with the sequel trilogy.

its a shame Ep4 already caries the title of A New Hope...because that's exactly what Disney is offering with the new movies and general handle of the franchise.

Sure, they could ultimately screw things up and do a terrible job with everything, but I think they have a far better chance to do good with the franchise than what we had been seeing.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I really don't care. I'm sure anything will be better than what George Lucas would do with Star Wars, but I'm still not expecting anything particularly good.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
To think that Episode 4-6 was ever going to be matched or beat is just silly. Sorry folks but that is the limit of Starwars.

In a world where CGI and green screens have taken over there is no creativity left and why you get episodes 1-3 and 7 and on will suck too. Not to mention the actor pools available now are all basically the same guy.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

Not everything Marvel touches turns to poop. I'm indifferent to this one until I can say for sure that Marvel crapified any new Star Wars comics.

90% of the Expanded U is crap. I believe that what is being done is there is a set of authors and "experts" who are to cull the Expanded U and set what is canon and what is not canon, which I take to mean if it isn't compatible with Episode 7, 8, 9, then it's non canon.

I'm a little sad to see Lucasarts gone, but as many mentioned, how long has it been since Lucasarts was relevant?

I don't watch Clone Wars. Indifferent to this one though I can understand if others are upset.

I'm sure they will be coming out with more Star Wars games. Maybe part of the problem with these new games is they don't fit in with the new Star Wars Episode 7, 8, 9? Without having played these games, we can't say for sure if they would have been any good.

I still have the original trilogy on laserdisc at my dad's house somewhere...I'd grab them if I had a working LD player. I'd love a remastered original trilogy but we 100% weren't going to get that with Lucas in control. At least with Disney there is renewed hope of maybe, possibly, perhaps we would get a remastered original trilogy without the crapification.

-The only potential pro seems like Episode 7, which itself could just as easily be a con depending on how it's handled and how much you enjoyed Star Trek Into Darkness.

I watched Episode 1, didn't like it. I tried watching Episode 2, couldn't complete it. I didn't bother with Episode 3. Disney can't possibly screw up Star Wars more than Lucas did after the original trilogy.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
are you saying Into Darkness was bad? Because the majority feel it was at least nearly as good as 2009 Star Trek with each respectively scoring 8.0 and 7.9 (i.e. very good) on IMDB, and commercially it was also more successful...

I just don't see how Ep7/sequel trilogy can be a con:
1. chances of it being as bad or worse than prequel trilogy is close to impossible
2. we wouldn't even be getting a sequel trilogy if not for Disney
3. if you're a purist who hates the prequel trilogy and like to pretend that only the original trilogy exists, then you can keep doing the same with the sequel trilogy.

its a shame Ep4 already caries the title of A New Hope...because that's exactly what Disney is offering with the new movies and general handle of the franchise.

Sure, they could ultimately screw things up and do a terrible job with everything, but I think they have a far better chance to do good with the franchise than what we had been seeing.

I liked Star Trek: Into the Darkness. I think that style would really suit Star Wars better than the Trek universe though. So I'm fairly confident JJ Abrams will give us something halfway decent.

I agree it's impossible he will make something as bad as the prequels. Those are three movies that really didn't need to exist. It could have been done in a single film. But Vader was just more marketable than Luke ever was, so we got a trio of steaming piles.

I also think Disney has something to prove this time around. Especially after John Carter bombed.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I guess I was indifferent when the sale happened. On one hand, I remember how awesome Episode IV and V were but on the other hand, you could see Lucas severely slipping in Return of the Jedi and his fall was completed by the turd-like prequels. I just don't see how Disney and Abrams could do any worse than the prequels. I do think Abrams' Star Trek movies have been terrible but I'll give him a chance to outshine Episode II, the worst Star Wars film BY FAR. :D

LucasArts did make me a little sad, but I don't remember the last game they made that was worth a crap. The LucasArts that died was not the LucasArts of the 90s and early 2000s.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I guess I was indifferent when the sale happened. On one hand, I remember how awesome Episode IV and V were but on the other hand, you could see Lucas severely slipping in Return of the Jedi and his fall was completed by the turd-like prequels. I just don't see how Disney and Abrams could do any worse than the prequels. I do think Abrams' Star Trek movies have been terrible but I'll give him a chance to outshine Episode II, the worst Star Wars film BY FAR. :D

LucasArts did make me a little sad, but I don't remember the last game they made that was worth a crap. The LucasArts that died was not the LucasArts of the 90s and early 2000s.

Lol. Episode I get's all the grief, yet it has almost a "so bad it's good" vibe to it. Episode II is just a cringe fest.