Anyone still claiming Fox News is "Fair and Balanced"?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
more people on the left that claim to hate fox news appear to be the biggest watchers of it.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
as a person that watches literally zero media, havent for over 2 years. I do occasionally watch when im over at the inlaws. Fox is far and away the least grouned in actual reality.

Lets also not forget the sued and won the righ to lie based on them being entertainment vs news. the issue isnt fox, the issue is peopel believing what they say is l reflection of anything.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
So let me get this straight. The entire election Fox was ranting about how biased the polls were slanted towards liberals and undersampling Republicans. They were wrong. The polls were dead on.
-snip-

Umm, no.

Fox has a stable of professional pollsters etc. to comment on the polls:

1. Pat Caddel (former pollster for Jimmy Carter). He never made that claim, at least not that I've heard and watched him numerous times.

2. Doug Schoen (former pollster for Bill Clinton). He never made that claim.

3. Joe Trippi (former campaign for Howard Dean). No, He discussed it, but wasn't sure either way. last prediction I saw him make was 305 EC votes, just not sure which way.

Dick Morris, Micheal Barron and Karl Rove did claim the sampling was off.

Fox had a pretty good mix. That's what "balanced" refers to (IMO).

Fern

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Well, Fox did go to court to defend their right to distort and falsify the news. I'm not sure that any of the other networks did that.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
The problem is that Fox News isn't news but a propaganda tool that brainwashes willing victims, people with weak analytical skills who are angry and want to lash out, people who are fearful and seeking comfort, people who are demented and seek certainty and conformation, that there is a bubble reality inside of which they can find what they seek. Fox news confirms and strengthens everything that is irrational and dangerous about the worst of human emotions in the hope they will vote a certain way. Fox News is a disease just as was the German propaganda machine. And the Germans got their own awakening after 50 million deaths. There is a madness in the world and it is fear and the conservative brain has been enlarged to be sensitive to it. In the conservative brain that part that functions to keep thought rational and unaffected by fear has withered away.

The Republican party has been completely swept away by an alternate reality where no rational thought can reach them. They have become functionally insane and in complete and total denial. These delusional patriots and lovers of country have become its greatest threat and danger.

The only question for folk who can still reason with some facility, is how to address this danger. Remember that what these folk will fear is extermination. It is this fear that caused them to kill the Jews. And it is this fear they will project on you. One insane person is challenge enough, but what do you do when the insane are half a nation.

Now add to this the fact that liberals are ill equipped to handle this problem. They aren't alerted by fear, aren't paranoid, won't see the danger till it's too late. All the geese who could warn us have become friends of the barbarians. The sunny upbeat rosy glasses that liberals wear will make them easy victims of slaughter. Take a look at Obama, eaten alive because he was a nice guy who wanted to compromise and work together as one America. He is dealing with folk so insane with fear that all they can see to save themselves is total power. It is madness and fear that create the One Ring.

So Fox News and right winged radio is and are not a news channel(s) or entertainment. They are enemies of the nation.

The question is what to do about them and the madness they create and maybe before it's too late if that date hasn't already passed. Liberal tolerance is a wonderful thing, but so is tolerance of the propagation of world destroying mental illness.

Something I would suggest needs some thinking.

Drama queen. PPL you talk about are a minority even in party. I have republican friends I play poker with and u always have the one guy who starts talking politics in a radical way and he gets tuned out and stops getting invited. Most ppl just want to get along and whats best for country not character u paint like there are tons of Rush Limbaughs running around. Though that could explain why midwest is flat earth..:p Anyway Fox has like 1% of the TV market a pimple on America's face.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
So when Obama looked like a weak chump after the first debate, and the MSM were discussing what he needs to do to look better, that was fair and balanced?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So when Obama looked like a weak chump after the first debate, and the MSM were discussing what he needs to do to look better, that was fair and balanced?

They were honest.

Just like their recommendations for Romney when he couldn't connect to average people.

Jan 25, 2011
Umm, no.

Fox has a stable of professional pollsters etc. to comment on the polls:

1. Pat Caddel (former pollster for Jimmy Carter). He never made that claim, at least not that I've heard and watched him numerous times.

2. Doug Schoen (former pollster for Bill Clinton). He never made that claim.

3. Joe Trippi (former campaign for Howard Dean). No, He discussed it, but wasn't sure either way. last prediction I saw him make was 305 EC votes, just not sure which way.

Dick Morris, Micheal Barron and Karl Rove did claim the sampling was off.

Fox had a pretty good mix. That's what "balanced" refers to (IMO).

Fern

Are you really going to make me link the clips of Fox news on air personalities ranting about the poll bias? it was endless. Here's a couple examples.

Gretchen Carlson - "don't believe your eyes, swing state polls showing the president running away with the race in key battleground areas?"... She asked if the data is "on track." This is "old information to help the president." If pollsters see more Democrats going to early voting polling places, "that's why they weight it toward Democrats."
Steve Doocy - "Media polling bias that has stacked the deck for the Democrats." Results reflect oversampling of Democrats. This is being done to keep Romney's donations down and keep people from early voting. "Some skewing going on by the left based, mainstream media."

Andrea Tantaros- the polls are "skewed" to "help the president out." and that "they're scared." She also said that the polls should be viewed with skepticism.

Best comments:

Gretchen Carlson - “I do think there’s a subliminal message in these daily polling things, which isn’t always great for the voter."

Doocy - "There's no doubt the mainstream media has the deck stacked against Mitt Romney and if they are stacking the deck with polls, as well, at least we're telling you that that's a possibility

I can get a whole bunch more if you'd like. Have a video.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/09/fox-friends-polls-rigged-conspiracy.php

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Anyone still claiming Fox News is "Fair and Balanced"?

Huh? Anyone want to defend that claim?

And what definition of "Fair & Balanced" are you going by? That's the key to your question.

When they're gonna rip on somebody they always seem to extend an invitation for that person to come defend themselves or their statement etc. That's "Fair".

Fox has more people from both sides appearing to present their position than anybody else. It ain't even close. Having both sides on is "Balanced" as opposed to the circle jerk Mathews and Maddow usually host.

Fox is obviously there to represent the conservative/Repub side of things and they don't hide it. Heck, it's their business model and they admit it.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Are you really going to make me link the clips of Fox news on air personalities ranting about the poll bias? it was endless. Here's a couple examples.

I can get a whole bunch more if you'd like. Have a video.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/09/fox-friends-polls-rigged-conspiracy.php

Really?

I give you an accurate and detailed account of the polling professionals they hire and have on numerous times a day and you bring up this 'Fox and Friends' crap - a morning fvcking talk show?

Fern

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
LOL at the guy posting talking points from talkingpoints.com while complaining about FOX and their talking points.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Fox has more people from both sides appearing to present their position than anybody else.

Which people would those be?

The punching bag Alan Colmes?

A couple of people who used to work for Democrats but are now right-wingers whom they trot out so they can say they have a "Democrat" commenting?

Really dumb people they can push around and out-argue?

Fox is obviously there to represent the conservative/Repub side of things and they don't hide it. Heck, it's their business model and they admit it.

And how does that square with their slogan, which you just seemed to be defending?

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Funny, I thought CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC and Comedy Central were in business not to be liberal or conservative, but to make money selling ad time.

Fox is a different deal, as is MS-NBC.

MS-NBC makes no attempt to hide what they do. They employ liberal commentators as their prime time anchors and don't apologize for it.

Fox hides behind "fair and balanced" while accusing everyone else of being "The Liberal Media." They should just focus on facts if they want to be a legitimate CNN alternative, or they should bill themselves as the anti-MS-NBC.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
So people don't care what FOX puts on the air, they are actually crying over the use of the term "fair and balanced"?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Which people would those be?

The punching bag Alan Colmes?

A couple of people who used to work for Democrats but are now right-wingers whom they trot out so they can say they have a "Democrat" commenting?

Really dumb people they can push around and out-argue?

Go look it up, they have a crap load of people on there. They have a large staff of Dems, the 'traitor' Dick Morris is the only one that I'm aware who used to be a Dem and is now a Repub.

They bring on current Dem politicians. Heck, I've seen David Axelrod on there.

And how does that square with their slogan, which you just seemed to be defending?

I thought I explained that pretty well already?

To my knowledge Fox hasn't provided their definition of "Fair & Balanced", but then neither has anybody else, particularly those here complaining about it.

What's yours?

Fern

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
and a little intellectual honesty would be nice

Your point? I clearly gave my opinion earlier.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who views Fox or MSNBC as a news station is kidding themselves. The majority of programing on both stations is clearly opinion and commentary, not news. The only reason to watch either station is for entertainment value.

Last edited:

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
No news source in the world is fair and balanced as all have their own agenda that makes them the most money/attracts the most viewer/listeners.

Yeah! And why even read stuff? It's just forcing you to play it's game with all those words strung together.

Just hear the grunts, people. The grunts don't lie.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Having guests from the other side appears doesn't mean they are being balanced. I'd also love to hear you justify your claim that they do this more than other networks do.

They DO lead in having the most obviously biased hosts and commentators of any network I've ever seen.

To my knowledge Fox hasn't provided their definition of "Fair & Balanced", but then neither has anybody else, particularly those here complaining about it.

What's yours?

Mine is "something not consistent with being 'obviously there to represent the conservative/Repub side of things'".

Your position makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You're trying to engage in Clintonesque levels of word parsing here.