Anyone short the market today?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I bailed out of stocks this morning but had bought some QID yesterday, wish my trades had settled so I could have bought more.

I think it's gonna be a bumpy ride for a few months.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Yes, short today. Been playing the short side the last few weeks with CCRT, COH, ALB, BWLD, RIMM, ACH (ok, ACH wasn't so good >_< ). All in all it's been a helluva ride and I've done quite well. :thumbsup:

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
I'm simply playing the lotto...best retirement plan :D

[disclaimer: the statement above is a joke]

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
I don't do that! It's mean.

I make my money on firm, consistent market research with a full balance sheet check of liabilities, short term/long term issues, and then I hold as long as I think it's going up and then SELL SELL SELL!

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: TruePaige
I don't do that! It's mean.

I make my money on firm, consistent market research with a full balance sheet check of liabilities, short term/long term issues, and then I hold as long as I think it's going up and then SELL SELL SELL!
What is mean about shorting?

If you short, you sell high and buy low. (1) Shorting limits the peak height a stock may achieve because stocks are sold high. (2) But more importantly, shorting limits the low a stock may achieve because stocks are bought low. That is, shorting keeps a stock in a less volitile range by clipping off the highs AND the lows. Why is keeping a stock less risky mean?

If you follow your plan, you buy low and sell high. Same exact effects as a shorter will have. You will bring up the price when it is low and bring down the price when it is high. No difference at all on the stock's overall performance.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I bailed out of stocks this morning but had bought some QID yesterday, wish my trades had settled so I could have bought more.

I think it's gonna be a bumpy ride for a few months.

Sounds unusual. I believe it takes 3 days for trades to officially 'settle', but your funds should be available the second you liquidate a position (unless perhaps you're talking about options, which I'm not sure.)