Discussion Anyone seen or eaten Brick Chili before?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
From Wikipedia for those who have never heard of this type of chili, which used to be very common.
I will almost swear that I've seen this Chili product for sale somewhere before. Maybe at a Sporting Store in the Camping/Hiking supply section? Well that would be the logical place to find this sort of thing.

So Where can I find this product at these days?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I recall those bricks of chili from back in my youts days. Or in the plastic tubes, like breakfast sausage.

It's hotdog chili, though. Not something you want to eat on its own....unless you want to pour it over spaghetti noodles like those savages in Cincinnati.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My dad started making his own chili because he doesn't like runny chili. Cincinnati chili isn't as universal as they claim it to be. Some places even put sugar in their chili because they're fat like that?

My dad's recipe is pretty simple. He basically takes ground beef and cooks it a long time until it's real fine and crumbly along with chili powder, mustard, and other spices. I'm not even sure if he adds tomato sauce to it...

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I recall those bricks of chili from back in my youts days. Or in the plastic tubes, like breakfast sausage.

It's hotdog chili, though. Not something you want to eat on its own....unless you want to pour it over spaghetti noodles like those savages in Cincinnati.
I come across Chili with no beans referred to as Condiment Chili since that is often used on hot dogs, hamburgers, and spaghetti. However here in IL even that is often made with beans.

My dad started making his own chili because he doesn't like runny chili. Cincinnati chili isn't as universal as they claim it to be. Some places even put sugar in their chili because they're fat like that?

My dad's recipe is pretty simple. He basically takes ground beef and cooks it a long time until it's real fine and crumbly along with chili powder, mustard, and other spices. I'm not even sure if he adds tomato sauce to it...
Sugar has no place in Chili or in any meat dish at all. :mad: Although you could make an argument for blackstrap molasses. And tomato sauce especially ketchup shouldn't even exist.