Anyone see this story going around last night and today...250k raised for a "homeless" man so far..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I agree, just pointing out it’s a more complicated discussion than one party doing what’s totally right vs another party doing what’s totally wrong. Also regarding go fund me, stuff like this is useless if it doesn’t have a plan.

I agree that their first problem was not having a plan. (The odds of a drug addicted homeless man using a windfall on drugs is...very high.)

That being said, I do think establishing some sort of trust for his benefit was a pretty obvious answer to that problem and it looks like instead they spent the money themselves considering a large portion of it is unaccounted for. I think we can all agree that whatever the answer was here it was not ‘take the money and go gambling’.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
An even more interesting update:

https://www.nj.com/burlington/index...pute_says_it_is_working_with_authorities.html

GoFundMe gives $20K to homeless vet in money dispute, says it is working with authorities

Meanwhile, a GoFundMe spokesman said the company put $20,000 in a bank account created by Bobbitt's legal team " to provide assistance during the investigation."

"We are working with law enforcement officials to ensure Johnny receives all of the funds raised on his behalf," the company said in a statement.

"It's important to remember that our platform is backed by the GoFundMe Guarantee, which means that in the rare case that GoFundMe, law enforcement or a user finds campaigns are misused, donors and beneficiaries are protected," the statement said.

Feb 4, 2009
Update to update:

Go Fund Me will cover the balance while investigation continues, he has received about 75k of the 400k and appears to still be homeless.
Seems like the balance will be going to the legal team, be interesting to see what gets syphoned off. They appear to have some sort of organization on how they give it to the homeless guy.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/07/us/p...teran-johnny-bobbitt-gofundme-trnd/index.html

Bobbitt has now received $20,000 as part of the guarantee, which will be used to get him an apartment and food, Fallon says.

the money has been in dispute, and Bobbitt is suing the couple, accusing them of fraud. Bobbitt's attorney says his client has only seen about $75,000 of that money and should have gotten about $300,000 more after GoFundMe's fees.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
To the gullible idiots last year who just "believed"" the story -- sucks to be you and so stupid.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
What about Bowling Green? Have you checked for clues there as well?

I checked the file marked "liars and frauds" - it included photos of these 3, Blasey Ford, Avenatti, and quite a few others. It had a side note to the file saying "gullible people will believe ALL of these people". :grin::grin::grin::grin::laughing:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I checked the file marked "liars and frauds" - it included photos of these 3, Blasey Ford, Avenatti, and quite a few others. It had a side note to the file saying "gullible people will believe ALL of these people". :grin::grin::grin::grin::laughing:
It's a good thing conservatives hardly ever fall for fake shit.

Reactions: DarthKyrie