Anyone run linux on @home??

UnixFreak

Platinum Member
Nov 27, 2000
Man, I have been pulling my hair out on this... Is there some trick? am I missing something? I add in all pertinent settings, I set it all up, and It Will not connect. I through a hard drive with win98 in it, configure it, it loads right up. all the same hardware. PM me if you know of a trick or something I am missing.

UnixFreak

Platinum Member
Nov 27, 2000
thanks, not exactly a "newbie" but obviously need the help! I'll try it.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
not DHCP, i couldnt get that to work, i just plugged in my
IP
subnet
Gateway
DNS servers
Domain suffix

and it worked fine

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Things to try.

Bring up the eth0 interface, assign it a 192.168.1.X address even. Ping that address assigned -- just make sure the card is working with the driver correctly.

Run "pump" (the standard dhcp client used.. the Red Hat network configurator and mandrake tools just setup scripts to call this anyway).

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm running @Home up here in Canada and have not had any problems running my cable modem on a linux box using standard DHCP. So, you might want to look into getting a dhcp client working for you.

-GL

MereMortal

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
If you use pump, you need to edit the /sbin/ifup script to include the -h hostname option when pump is called. That's how I got it to work.

See the DHCP mini-HOWTO for more details.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Hmm... are you sure you are using the correct NIC drivers for Linux to get the NIC up and running? Cuz that may be the problem...

I have used @Home for a couple of Linux distros and they all worked... no special trick too, all I needed to do was input all the info (ie. IP, domain, submask, etc... )

However getting the NIC to work was the main problem for me...

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
same here about the nic
i could never get a linksys nic to work properly but 3com and netgear nics worked like a dream
do you have a static ip or a dynamic ip?

UnixFreak

Platinum Member
Nov 27, 2000
My Nic works just fine, I can disconnect the cable, and connect to my home LAN just fine. There has never been a problem with it. Everything looks ok, everything says its ok, but I cant ping outside the router. I know that this particular @home service uses the Hostname for authentication, and I think thats part of the problem. I have a static IP, but, with that, or DHCP, the results are the same, it gives me the IP, but no connectivity.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
<<If you use pump, you need to edit the /sbin/ifup script to include the -h hostname option when pump is called. That's how I got it to work.

See the DHCP mini-HOWTO for more details.>>

Did you do this?

UnixFreak

Platinum Member
Nov 27, 2000
well, cant really try it right now, modem wont train. Tech supposed to check the line on monday. Hopefully, this is my whole problem, but like I said, win98 didnt seem to have a problem. Oh well, as soon as this light stops blinking, I will try it again!