Anyone read why Delta Flight 55 on 1/5 had to turn around 2hrs in the air?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
My niece was flying ATL (Atlanta, GA) to NRT (Narita, Japan) and 2 hours into the air they turn around and land back at ATL. For 2 hours they sat and then took off. Not much was said on the plane and the next day I was able to get they had a security 'issue'.

6 hour delay in getting her home.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
The government was going to plant more explosives in the Coca-Cola building and stage a "1/10" plane attack to boost Republican poll figures in preparation for the election, but their demo team got caught by some kid who was on his "weed break" out back.

Aug 25, 2004
Delta must have screwed up during maintenance and figured it was easier to play the "security" card.

I'm assuming a genuine security threat would result in the aircraft landing in the nearest airport, not turn around and fly for two hours back to the ATL.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: jagec
The government was going to plant more explosives in the Coca-Cola building and stage a "1/10" plane attack to boost Republican poll figures in preparation for the election, but their demo team got caught by some kid who was on his "weed break" out back.

:laugh: You should write for Letterman or the Tonight Show.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
From flyertalk:

Official Word:

There was cargo that went unscreened and the paper trail caught up to them while in the air. They returned to Atlanta, will have the cargo screened and off again they'll go.

They were dumping fuel in Huntsville.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Pantoot
From flyertalk:

Official Word:

There was cargo that went unscreened and the paper trail caught up to them while in the air. They returned to Atlanta, will have the cargo screened and off again they'll go.

They were dumping fuel in Huntsville.

interesting, never knew about this site. How did you find the topic?

*edit* Figured it out...(I hate sites that use google to search them)...just searched for atlanta narita 55 and found it.

Thanks