anyone played sid meier's pirates?

thelastmccabe

Apr 19, 2005
Wow, civ 4 looks totally amazing, they are fixing so many things that need fixing and getting rid of rioting!!! And that got me wondering if anybody's played sid meier's pirates and if it is a cool game. I've seen some good reviews of it, but I haven't heard much about it.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
civ3 is my first civ and i loved it

but the corruption = :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

and what's the deal with pikesmen destroying modern armor?!

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
CivII stole thousands of my precious hours way back when. AC was cool too. CivIII didn't do it for me.

KillyKillall

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2004
Pirates is fun if you play it in 20 minute doses...that's about it. It loses its appeal pretty fast unless you can entertain yourself going.."ARG MATEY!" to your screen over and over for weeks.

thelastmccabe

Apr 19, 2005
I think the site I saw said november this year, there is a long thing on it at www.civfanatic.com (i think that's the right address). They are really planning a whole lot of changes, adding a ton more resources, religions and holy cities, combat system to encourage combined arms rather than stack of 1 unit type (better bombardment) and doing the governments like the social engineering in AC instead of having set govts. Getting mostly rid of pollution, making culture and happiness one combined slider, multiple tech paths (u can skip whole branches), etc......sounds awesome, i don't have the exact link but u should check it out.

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
If you liked the old Pirates! game, you'll love the new one. Biggest thing about the game is that is is COMPLETELY open ended. You can do whatever you want whenever you want.

Dave

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Apathetic
If you liked the old Pirates! game, you'll love the new one. Biggest thing about the game is that is is COMPLETELY open ended. You can do whatever you want whenever you want.

Dave

Awesome!

*fires up Pirates & searches for some hawt pirate babes*

;)

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
Played the original Pirates and enjoyed it. It was entertaining for a week or two. PC Gamer has a CIV4 feature this month and the game does look good.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I keep trying to get into Civ. 2 & 3 again, but nothing can get me going like Civ 1. :(

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Yes, four of the expected improvements in CivIV have gotten my attention:

-Social Engineering, a la Alpha Centauri. That system kicked some serious ass.
-Religion. About time they integrated this into their game model; it played a central role in the majority of human history
-Requiring resource investment into culture.
-User Customization through Python