Anyone play Basketball?

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I have problems with playing ball. I can hit the rim 95% of the time but unfortunately I get rejected about 85% of the time. I am guessing I ain't found the key to shooting the ball. Its either to much power or the ball goes off to the right of the rim. I usually jump just about all the time when I shoot. Think that might be part of the problem? Or maybe its just where I don't practice much? One last thing is it better to not concentrate and just shoot the ball(when practicing)?

Any pointers?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
make sure your shooting elbow is pointing straight at where you want the ball to go, and follow through straight. sounds like you are turning your wrist as you shoot. make sure you keep it straight. that is the most important thing. and don't use your non-shooting hand to shoot the ball at all....it only balances the ball on your shooting hand.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ^Sniper^
I have problems with playing ball. I can hit the rim 95% of the time but unfortunately I get rejected about 85% of the time. I am guessing I ain't found the key to shooting the ball. Its either to much power or the ball goes off to the right of the rim. I usually jump just about all the time when I shoot. Think that might be part of the problem? Or maybe its just where I don't practice much? One last thing is it better to not concentrate and just shoot the ball(when practicing)?

Any pointers?

Do you mean you get blocked 85% of the time? Or rejected by the rim?

To get good at shooting you've to practice alot. Start under the basket and work your way out. Concentrate on form when practicing. If you practice and get comfortable enough, you won't need to think when shooting in a game. It will be instinct.

As far as form goes, be sure your fingertips are touching the ball, not your palms. Snap your wrist and follow through. Other than that, practice, practice!

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Arc the ball. Diameter of rim is nearly twice that of ball. Very easy to get ball in if it is coming from up rather than level.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
i used to shoot line drives pretty much (lazy shoot... elbows low), but these days, i began to mess around with different shooting styles. keep the elbows high. i can still shoot line drives, but i pretty the arc'ed (sp?) shot now. at least u're less likely to get rejected by someone while shooting with a nice arc :D

RalphWiggum

Feb 20, 2001
Do you bend your knees? Where do you get the power for your shot? How far are you shooting from or want to shoot from?
Sounds like your using your right hand/arm a bit too much.
Also, make sure you have a nice arc and rotation on the ball. That helps out a lot.
I doubt jumping is the problem unless you're releasing at a funny time.
But, practice is the best way to get better.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
keep jumping to shoot - you would be amaze how good you would be with a decent jump shot. It's really tough in the beginning but once you have it ... it's so nice ... just make sure you shoot the ball right before you fall ... the other tip is to make sure your body is square with the rim ... and of course practice practice ...

-ls

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
like pyonir said, make sure your form is aligned and your elbow is straight. Maybe go to barnes and noble and pick up a book on technique. Other than that, practice, practice, practice.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
"make sure your shooting elbow is pointing straight at where you want the ball to go, and follow through straight. sounds like you are turning your wrist as you shoot. make sure you keep it straight. that is the most important thing. and don't use your non-shooting hand to shoot the ball at all....it only balances the ball on your shooting hand."

Didnt know that. I know pratice makes perfect but thats something I don't do much because I don't really play alot but I do like the game. I will try some of these things out later today though. I very seldom get rejected my somebody its always the rim that rejects me.

Anything else?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Play with other people a lot too. That way you'll learn to shoot under pressure and such. If you play with friends, they won't care how much you suck, some will try to get you the ball anyway so you can have fun too.

If you're jumping just at the time you shoot, you don't really jump, do you? Are you just going up on your toes for a small boost up, or are you actually jumping off the ground? If I jump completely off teh ground, I'll usually let the ball go when I'm at the top of my jump.

Also, I have a habit of bringing the ball really far back when I shoot. People say it looks almost like a throw in, but it goes in the basket. I guess its just something I learned from being a 5'10" guy playing with 6 footers and getting rejected all the time.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
"Are you just going up on your toes for a small boost up, or are you actually jumping off the ground?"

To be honest I ain't sure. I am fairly sure I am jumping but not very high(few inches).

NeoMadHatter

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2000
johntwang.com
you should try and watch juan dixon shoot. he has probably the best shooting form i've ever seen in my life. but the stuff they said is pretty accurate. it's mostly about practice. also, keep your eyes on where you want the ball to hit on the rim and it will go in.

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
Arc the ball. Diameter of rim is nearly twice that of ball. Very easy to get ball in if it is coming from up rather than level.

AH HA.... I believe I read the same thing when I was a lil' boy reading Larry Bird's how to shoot hoops manual.

Hey "Sniper" go to Barnes and Noble and look through their sports books or search online for some pics or videos for proper form... then you'll be sniping with deadly accuracy.