Anyone overclocking a Non-Intel chipset with a P4 ???

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I've tried an albatron 845pe (Intel 845pe chipset) and gigabyte 8sq800 (sis 655). The gigabyte ran at 160 briefly, and the albatron at 150 fsb. My older 2.4b and generic memory just wouldn't go higher. Gigabyte has a new 655fx board out that's listed in pricewatch under motherboards, sis 655fx. You might want to check it out. What impressed me about the 8sq800 was the number of memory settings available. I would download the manual off the manufacturer's website of any board you're interested in and check the bios settings before purchasing.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Those current Sis Chipsets are a little buggy, I know Sony was using them for a while in their consumer Pc's and they al had sudden lockup syndrome. They recently changed to the 865g chipset.

The current bact on intel chipsets overclock rather well and i dont think SIS is worth the risk with all the instability they are historic for having.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
For stability and performance with Intel CPUs true Intel chipsets can't be beat. That being said I did use a P4S333 to overclock a 1.6A@2.34ghz approx. 18months ago and it's still running like a rock for one of my Nephews, whom I gave it to. The other amazing thing is it's been running at close to 1.7v all this time and no SNDS :Q :) Still, Intel chipsets with Intel CPUs is the only way to fly!

uncleX

Nov 22, 2002
> dont think SIS is worth the risk with all the instability they are historic for having.

What is this historic risk? SIS chipsets have no history of being unstable. A bit slow, maybe; unstable no. If Sony had a problem with a SIS mobo, it was a problem with that particular mobo or a batch of chips, not a historical SIS problem.

There have been periods in between new Intel chipsets that SIS has had the highest performing, fastest chipset on an Intel platform, and not in the least unstable.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I've had three SiS-based motherboards (645dx, 648, and a 655)... All of them had some sort of issue.

i.e. Wouldn't shut down properly, USB wouldn't work sometimes, having to reset the multiplier/fsb sometimes after restarting, had to revert to an earlier AGP driver to get video drivers to work, etc. Nothing that would crash during an application, but it certainly was an annoyance.

chasM

Oct 10, 1999
I've been using SIS 645 or 655 chipsets in my home system since they came out. I've used the same 1.8a in them. I run all my games at 2.3g without problems. I don't see what's buggy about them. My cpu won't do 2.4g without Prime95 having errors, but it is an early northwood chip.