Anyone out there not happy with their birth name?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I like mine but my middle name is spelled wrong on my birth certificate. Either the doctor spelled it wrong (I was born at home) or my mother, who was 19, didn't know how to spell it.

The middle name is Thornton.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
By hating my name I would also be hating that of my father and grandfather. My first name is eh, middle name is horrible, and last name is eh. My favorite part is the III at the end. :)

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
when i was younger i used to hate my first name because no one else had it and of course i wanted to fit in.

now i love it for the very same reason.

my daughter went through the same thing. her name is pretty rare, and she hated it when she got to about 3rd grade due to that. now in 7th she loves it because its unique and her friends like it. mine is standard, although i did use my middle name for a year in 4th grade.

i used to work with a guy named chanurn ath a long time ago. he was cambodian, moved here at age 16 with his brother chanourn. his first teacher in a california school couldnt pronounce it, and renamed him dave. he still uses dave. in some states you can use a new name on official paperwork and it is considered a legal name change, may want to look into your states rules on it.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: aphex
I had my middle name legally changed when I was 5... My parents even let me pick my new one.

That's pretty cool... Maybe I should let my kids pick their middle names when they are around that age...

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
I hate my birth name (Tyrone). People get all sorts of preconceived notions of me.

I suppose I wouldn't hate it so much if I wasn't white. :confused:

:)P :D)

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Flyback
I hate my birth name (Tyrone). People get all sorts of preconceived notions of me.

I suppose I wouldn't hate it so much if I wasn't white. :confused:

:)P :D)

Don't feel bad. My mother's name was Rhueama.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
My first name is Eric, which is fine. Common American name. It doesn't really bother me.

My last name is Zhou. Common Chinese name. But people have a very, very hard time pronouncing it correctly. I might change it to something a little easier if it becomes a problem when I grow up.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I like my name "David".

When/if I have a son, I want to name him either:

Dallas, Tyson, or Baron

My gf hates those names though :D

Eww... David, what a crappy name. Oh right, that's my name too;). Honestly, I'm not a big fan of it. Something puny-ish about David, and something too casual about Dave. I never tell anyone to call me Dave, but lots of people do it anyways, and I kinda like it more.

My ideal name is Jack, Jim, John or Mike: very simple and straight forward. No phoni-ness like Cory, Jason or Romeo... To anyone named that, I'm sorry;).

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I can't stand my father, and I don't associate with his family. Accordingly, I've wanted to change my last name from his last name to my mother's maiden name since I was... oh, 14 or 15.

In Ohio, in order to change your name, you have to be 18 years old (or have the consent of your parents or guardians, which I certainly did not have), and have lived in the same county for some amount of time (either one or two continuous years). Last June, I finally decided that enough was enough, and filed a petition for name change with the probate court of my county. Did the other required things, paid the appropriate fees (wasn't too much, maybe a few hundred all told), and on August 7, 2006, my legal name was changed to the name I'd wanted for nearly a decade. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. ;)

As for changing your name with entities... yes, you have to do that one by one. Your first order of business, immediately after receiving the court order, should be to go to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (or your state's equivalent agency) and get a new driver's license or State ID. Every entity that I've changed my name with has required that I furnish my new State ID. In addition, banks and etc generally need original evidence (in my case, the court's order that my name be changed from X to Y). It's a bit of a pain, but it's not too bad. I also carried a copy of the court order in my wallet for about 6 months, in case I had forgotten to tell some critical organization, or if the State "forgot", etc. Never had to use it, but I'm still glad I carried it.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
My middle name used to be "Elra" (after my Mormon grandfather), but I got to change it at 10y.o. when my (step)father adopted me.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
I like my first name, and my last name is unique but annoying. My last name is Doms, so I caught a lot of flak in high school (hahaha, yes, wouldn't it be funny if my first name was Conrad, never get sick of that one) and Doms is a pain to spell over the phone.

"Okay, and what's you surname?"
"Doms"
"Okay Mr Toms..."
"No, Doms. D-O-M-S"
Okay, T-O-N-S"
"No, D for Delta"
"Okay sorry, D-O-N-..."
"No, that's M for Mary"

Grrr....

And a surprising number of people have a hard time pronouncing Doms, which is ridiculous. It's pronounced exactly how you would expect it to be pronounced.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
It could have been worse. My dad wanted to name me Wolfgang. My mother talked him out of it.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: mobiblu
I have one of those Vietnamese name that one can pronounce correctly except Vietnamese. Duy...Dewey....Die...Don't bother. It never really bother me, but I'm considering having it legally change to something more friendly to pronounce. btw...anyone know the legal cost of the whole process?

you mean that no one can pronounce.

anyhow accept it. Go by dewey. I have several friends named Duy they go by dewey. Have that as your nickname or whatever.

I used to think I'd want to adopt and american name, make things easier but as I grew older I didn't find a need for it. My name isn't hard to pronounce at all, some still mess up but I figure having non american name forces others to learn it especially if you correct them, but also they will remember you better.

My kids will get both american and vietnamese names though. Possible only american names because I really have no clue how to name children in vietnamese.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
My story is a little more strange. My parents wanted to name me Beau, but they were afraid I wouldn't like it. So they named me Matthew and gave me Beau as my middle name. I've gone by Beau all my life. I think it's too much of a pain to change, and it makes it easy to tell if people really know you or if they read your name off an official roster.

I'm still confused as to why my parents didn't just name me Beau to begin with.

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
My name is way too freaking common. I swear there are about 500 Roberts at work.

Rachael

Mar 16, 2006
My first name is pretty ordinary, although the spelling is kind of unusual which I do like. I love my middle names though- Jeannette for my maternal grandmother & Isadora for Isadore, my paternal grandfather.