Anyone out there not happy with their birth name?

mobiblu

May 30, 2005
I have one of those Vietnamese name that one can pronounce correctly except Vietnamese. Duy...Dewey....Die...Don't bother. It never really bother me, but I'm considering having it legally change to something more friendly to pronounce. btw...anyone know the legal cost of the whole process?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I like my name "David".

When/if I have a son, I want to name him either:

Dallas, Tyson, or Baron

My gf hates those names though :D

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: mobiblu
I have one of those Vietnamese name that one can pronounce correctly except Vietnamese. Duy...Dewey....Die...Don't bother. It never really bother me, but I'm considering having it legally change to something more friendly to pronounce. btw...anyone know the legal cost of the whole process?

I was born with the name of a man who wasn't related to me by DNA. Got it changed to my real name when I turned 18 in May. Cost me about $500.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I had my middle name legally changed when I was 5... My parents even let me pick my new one.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Originally posted by: aphex
I had my middle name legally changed when I was 5... My parents even let me pick my new one.

So you're Aphex "poopoohead" Smith?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've always thought about having a bit more of an exotic name... my name's just so common :eek:.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
yes, because I couldn't get firstname.lastname@gmail.com... stupid common vietnamese name. the only gripe I guess I have is my full name, to an American, might imply I was a girl. Oddly, I think I was only made fun of once in elementary school about it. Probably because it's spelled differently than the American variant.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
:music:
My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue."
:music:

Okay it wasn't that bad.....I got stuck with the name Tracy.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
when i was younger i used to hate my first name because no one else had it and of course i wanted to fit in.

now i love it for the very same reason.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Not a big fan of my last name. It's one letter off from a common Spanish first name (actually my name is the Catalan equivalent of the Castilian version of the name). This sucks for two reasons -
1. everyone misspells and mispronounces my name, because the other version is much more common.
2. people who have never met me probably assume I'm latino based on my name. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you haven't been following the news lately one of the largest latino groups in the US is Mexicans, and many of them are here illegally, and they aren't well-liked. ;) I'm as white as anyone else though. My family is from Spain, not Mexico.

I like my first name. It's common, but normal (with the exception that my parents forgot one letter).

I hate my middle name. Lucky for me, my parents always called me by my middle name since I was born! Stupid. I considered changing to my first name when I got to college, but it's not an easy thing to change.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
I kind of (although it's a bit tougher for us these days) regret my parents giving me an American name (Danny) though I'm of Arab descent (100% by blood). Parents Fadia, Adnan, brother Hady, Uncles Fadi Essam Ido Atef Imad..etc--I guess some common middle eastern names but for some reason they named me Danny.

The good news is that it's not Daniel, so I guess it's "unique"..

Oct 4, 2004
I didn't like my name as a kid - nobody could pronounce it right.

Arabs pronounced it as 'Nagh-maan'. I also got the following: Newman, Now-man, Now-maaan, No-man, No-maan....the correct one is Nu-maan.
By High School, people just started calling me by my surname. But it is a fairly unique name and I do like it. :)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
I didn't like my name as a kid - nobody could pronounce it right.

Arabs pronounced it as 'Nagh-maan'. I also got the following: Newman, Now-man, Now-maaan, No-man, No-maan....the correct one is Nu-maan.
By High School, people just started calling me by my surname. But it is a fairly unique name and I do like it. :)

<jerry with contempt>Hello, Newman</jerry with contempt>

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
i have an extremely uncommon first name not to mention the fact that it is a religous name from the Torah and since i'm not religous at all and don't believe in all that bullsh!t, it is rather annoying. i am considering changing it.

May 16, 2000
Because my given name (Kristin) is feminine in most countries I've had my share of problems. I even went by an alias for about ten years of my life. However, I wouldn't change it for anything. It's been defining for me as a person, and it's fairly unique...at least for a guy.

JAH

Mar 4, 2005
If you do change your name legally, how much of a hassle would it be to have that reflect on your other legal documents? With you credit cards, banks, loans, 401K, schools, etc.? I'm guessing you have to go to them one by one and hope they have a form for it?