Anyone one here know a lot about rice and rice cookers?

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I made rice lastnight in my Zojirushi.
Is it still ok to eat it today? 17 hours or so later.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
One more question, where can I find another one of those little cups that measure the rice.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Get a digital weigh scale. Weigh out the rice and the water separately and you'll always get consistent results.

Yes, rice lasts for a while if you refrigerate it covered. You can put the old rice in with the new rice partway through the cooking cycle and it'll be almost as good.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Just plain rice ? Then you can store that for at least a week and keep eating it, actually, it probably is safe for a very, very long time, as long as you don't have meat or anything else that can spoil in it.

If you have the current cup, then just fill that up, and dump it into a normal measuring cup, and see how much it holds if it don't say anything on it, itself.

BTW, I don't understand the need for a rice cooker, it is 1 cup rice + 2 cups water and it can't be easier to cook rice on the stove. Bring water to a boil, dump in the rice, reduce heat to simmer, cover it, and leave it alone for 30 mins. Never had any issues, and the rice is perfect every time.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Just plain rice ? Then you can store that for at least a week and keep eating it, actually, it probably is safe for a very, very long time, as long as you don't have meat or anything else that can spoil in it.

If you have the current cup, then just fill that up, and dump it into a normal measuring cup, and see how much it holds if it don't say anything on it, itself.

BTW, I don't understand the need for a rice cooker, it is 1 cup rice + 2 cups water and it can't be easier to cook rice on the stove. Bring water to a boil, dump in the rice, reduce heat to simmer, cover it, and leave it alone for 30 mins. Never had any issues, and the rice is perfect every time.

let's just say that using a rice cooker is easier than what you described. less effort and less time.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I mena to ask how long is the rice good for in the cooker on the warm setting.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

from my experience, it's good for a week. it's not necessarily bad after 1 week, but I wouldn't trust it.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Mmmmm, tasty Bacillus cereus and botulism! Yum Yum.

That said I've always reheated rice and never had a problem.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I made rice lastnight in my Zojirushi.
Is it still ok to eat it today? 17 hours or so later.

Use your nose. If it smells pungent, then no, toss it out. Usually what kills the rice is moisture. I usually test by flipping the rice over and smelling the bottom, if it doesn't smell, then it's fine.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Put the rice (container it was cooked on) in the refrigerator after it cools down. Mine usually last 3-7 days. But if left outside the ref, 3 days max then it starts to smell which I'll have to throw out. I don't leave rice cooker on warm overnights. Just cook the amount you think can be consumed till the next day.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003

My family in Taiwan does this just about every day. It doesn't seem like a great idea to me. I turn it off, cool down, and refrigerate after done with eating.

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I leave it till it turns brown and then I trash it... Btw any Asian grocer should have extra cups for sale.

kjknight

May 23, 2011
In our house, we have had rice for a week in our zojirushi with no ill effects. Overnight? No problem. Best investment for our kitchen since we have rice everyday.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You are fine on the rice. Check Chinese home appliance store for the rice measuring cup.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
You know, you can make perfect rice in one of these which you probably already have in your cabinets. Just sayin... :whiste:;)

6716_18_20CoveredSaucePan.jpg

Edited out generalization.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Silly Asians... can't cook rice without a rice cooker.

You know, you can make perfect rice in one of these which you probably already have in your cabinets. :whiste:

6716_18_20CoveredSaucePan.jpg

Sigh, I was hoping you wouldn't show up. Really, trolling rice cookers? :colbert: