Anyone on DVORAK keyboard format?

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Is it worth the conversion? Have you gone down significantly in being able to type on a qwerty keyboard?

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I used to be able to type on both, and I only started on the Dvorak because I had been told that you can type more efficiently. You can change your keymappings in Windows to a Dvorak layout. I ended up switching back to Qwerty.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Yes and no. You are a much better/faster typer on dvorak but no one uses it so it's pointless.

I use one at work sometimes, I like it much better.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i tried it out, its hard as hell to learn if you are used to QWERT, i ended up going back

it skeeps people off your computer tho cause they cant figure out the keyboard

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
Yes and no. You are a much better/faster typer on dvorak but no one uses it so it's pointless.

If it's your keyboard and you're using it to communicate, what does it matter if anyone else uses it?

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Descartes
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation

If it's your keyboard and you're using it to communicate, what does it matter if anyone else uses it?

I guess it depends if you're not always working on your own personal computer (visiting friends, computer labs, etc...)

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Tried it, didn't stick with it long enough to get good at it.

I found it was MUCH more comfortable to type than on QWERTY.

booger711

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2004
i know ppl who put stickers on their keyboard to learn dvorak
some dumbass also pried all the keys off his laptop and rearranged them

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
I have never heard of this before. I once saw some infomercials for a keyboard arranged alphabetically(sp?) but never DVORAK. Linkage?

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: booger711

It seems like the keyboard rearrangement is a good long term solution if you're going to stick with it

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I never look at the letters on my keyboard, so you could rearrange it to booger711 format for all I care. Any touch-typist could do the same.

booger711

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Descartes

I never look at the letters on my keyboard, so you could rearrange it to booger711 format for all I care. Any touch-typist could do the same.

the problem with rearraning the keys was that he lost a few, broke a few, esp where the stickmouse is. he had to break some to fit them around it.

I have no need to make the switch or to type faster than I already do.
I'm not a secretary.

MournSanity

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2002
I have a Dvorak keyboard lying around that I made one day out of an extra KB by rearranging the keys. I never use it.

MalikChen

Jan 5, 2004
Heh, I remember good times switching the keyboard format of a friend to DVORAK in the OS. There is nothing like seeing a guy who can type 50 WPM type 50 completely nonsense words in a minute before realizing something was up.

The guy had to make up a list of what QWERTY key corresponded to which letter. It was priceless.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
Dvorak is not about typing faster, it's about typing more comfortably and avoiding RSI. I can type decently in dvorak, but still haven't been able to make the switch, mostly because of vi. Every once in a while I switch to dvorak for a while, but it never sticks.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
no.

I don't type properly to begin with, so I can't see DVORAK making me any more efficient. plus, I'd get screwed up every time I come to work and have to use QWERT keyboards.

Wahsapa

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
im to stuck on qwerty to even try. im thinking about it. id want to re-arrange all my keys on my keyboard before i try it.