Anyone of you actually use icloud?

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by kyrax12, Nov 16, 2012.

1. kyrax12

kyrax12 Platinum Member

Has it been useful for those who have used it?

2. scootermaster

scootermaster Platinum Member

Depends on what you mean.

I sync all my calendars with iCloud [actually, a mixture of external calendars synced to Google, then synced to iCloud]. But it's SO much simpler to get true three-way sync between iPhone, Web and Apps with iCloud than it was with Google (and for whatever reason, I prefer apps to webpages. Color me old-fashioned).

So, yeah, I use it. Notes, reminders, Messages, Contacts, etc. All work very well.

3. Spicedaddy

Spicedaddy Platinum Member

Hotmail (Exchange Activesync) for mail/calendar/contacts

SkyDrive or Dropbox for files/documents

StreamToMe for pictures/music/movies

I only use iCloud for Find My iPhone!

4. Pandamonium

Pandamonium Golden Member

For the past year, I used Google for mail/calendars/contacts, and iCloud for notes/safari/documents/find my x. This somewhat worked. A handful of my contacts kept getting duplicated (to something on the order of 100 instances). I got fed up with this behavior last week and migrated contacts over to iCloud. So Google gets mail and calendars. I'll see how it works out, but based on this past week, I'll continue to run with this setup for some time to come.

FWIW I have an iPhone. But some of the contact behavior was *very* strange. Like a long time phone contact loses the phone number then gets duplicated 100x. Or half of my new contacts being renamed after I've added them on my phone. For example I add a contact on my phone with the last name is put in as "Smith (medicine intern)", which Google later renames to middle: "Smith (medicine" Last: "intern)"

5. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

I use it for apps, calendar, and mail. I actually really like it but it certainly could do more and hopefully will down the line.

6. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

I use it to sync my contacts over my family's iDevices and computers. I use it to sync the bookmarks on my 2 computers and iPhone. I also use Find My iPhone.

I use Google Calendar now, but it has been a little frustrating, so I am going to look at calendar on iCloud.

MotionMan

7. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

My main use for it is to sync contacts.

8. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

google for contact/calendar syncing, icloud for music/find my phone/photo stream/backups

9. secretanchitman

secretanchitman Diamond Member

i only use it for calendars (girlfriend and i share calendars) and find my iphone. the rest of the stuff i dont use because its all saved to my computer daily anyway.

i also have icloud sync set to manual (settings - mail, contacts, calendars -fetch new data - push is off, fetch hourly, advanced - icloud is set to manual). this way my battery life doesnt get murdered and i only see new entries in my calendar if i actually open the calendar app.

edit - spelling.

#9 secretanchitman, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  10. JAG87

JAG87 Diamond Member

I use it for everything except documents, for which I use SkyDrive. No issues.

Not sure why Apple hasn't included a function like SkyDrive with their iCloud control panel, because limiting it to Pages/Numbers/Keynote documents is just silly.

11. Printer Bandit

create a shortcut to home / Library / Mobile Documents

works just like sky drive.

12. Paperlantern

Paperlantern Platinum Member

Use google drive for docs, drop box for sharing world backups on my minecraft server. That's it. iCloud sucks and is WAY too small for anything useful. I didn't like skydrive. Backups I tried we're backblaze and crash plan. Backblaze wouldn't install on server OS and crashplans restore was unbearably slow (we are talking 300 gb restore taking 3 MONTHS because it wouldn't go faster than 512Kbps from a local FIREWIRE drive). I do like google drive though, I find myself creating a new doc for something every other week or so.

13. Syrome

Syrome Member

I use iCloud everyday for the most part. I am not sure why you wouldnt.

14. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

Use it for my ipad, that is it is turned on. However I don't really need it, I don't put photos..etc on it nor contacts...I still do the pen and paper thing for a lot of stuff.
    actually I can grab a pen and small notepad and write stuff down far faster than I can get into an ipad app and fill out boxes that's for sure.

#14 HeXen, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  15. Syrome

Syrome Member

I actually have it turned off on my iPad which is kinda surprising to most people but i hate having my texts push to that when my girlfriend is near by LOL.

16. IHAVEAQUESTION

IHAVEAQUESTION Golden Member

Use it for "find my phone" feature only.

Don't want duplicated entries for contact and calendar. I have no idea why Apple can't get it right.

Oh right, it's because I don't know how to set up.

17. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

I copied all our calendars to iCloud and set it up on all our iDevices and computers.

So far, so good.

MotionMan

18. slashbinslashbash

slashbinslashbash Golden Member

I really only used it recently when I decided to get an iPhone 5. I turned it on for my 3GS. The day that I activated my iPhone 5, everything was automagically on my new phone exactly like it was on my old phone. Photos, app settings, app data. Call me psyched. I haven't tried it on the Mac yet.

19. CA19100

CA19100 Senior member

I find the PhotoStream function extremely helpful. Take a photo on my iPhone, and it automatically appears on both my Windows and Mac machines with no effort on my part. Very well-integrated.

20. Kadarin

Kadarin Lifer

I use it to sync music and playlists, contacts, messages, and bookmarks (set up in safari on a Mac, synced to idevices).

21. DnetMHZ

DnetMHZ Diamond Member

I use iCloud backup mainly

22. HN

HN Diamond Member

used it after setting up imessages on the ipad. wanted to get the contacts over from the phone so turned on icloud sync for contacts on the phone, turned it on on ipad and done. then turned it off again.

23. xanis

xanis Lifer

I only use it for music and contacts. Everything else (calendars, memos, etc.) are on Google and Dropbox.

24. Syrome

Syrome Member

icloud backup is awesome.

25. Rottie

Rottie Diamond Member

I use iCloud for contacts and calendar.