Anyone OC'ing a Wolfdale on stock cooling?

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I'm thinking of getting an E8400 coupled with DDR2 800 RAM and keeping the RAM @ 1.8v and keeping the CPU at stock vCore. This basically would limit the OC to a max of 3.6, but I'm guessing likely closer to 3.4.

So I'm just curious if anyone has an idea of what kind of OC the stock cooler is good for.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
I was planning on trying this myself, just to see if my Wolfdale could do 9*400 without increasing voltage significantly. I figured in the long term (ie more than a few hours), it would be untenable owing to my stumpy cooler (the Xeon E3110's stock cooler seems inferior to even the Core 2 Duo E8400's). Of course, at that time I was still getting 15 C temperatures in my area, but I waited too long, and now it's June, and today the forecast is 27 C or the like (I don't have air conditioning in my flat). So I might not be doing it any time soon.

If you cpu is good, you'll probably get 3.6 GHz at very close to stock voltage. But I'd worry about how much heat the stock cooler can dissipate.

I'll be very curious to see your results. Most enthusiasts (understandably) run aftermarket cooling, so it's hard to get data on how far the Wolfdales will go with stock cooling. If you look at FrostyTech's comparison, you'll see that Intel's coolers are a good deal inferior to even the $15 aftermarket solutions.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
its good for 3.5-3.8 depending on case airflow and your individual chip's characteristics, like vcore requirements

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Ya my first E8400 didnt like anything over 3.6 at stock volts. My second one fared a bit better. YMMV.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Ike0069
So I'm just curious if anyone has an idea of what kind of OC the stock cooler is good for.

Has anyone tried overclocking using the stock Wolfdale cooler? Those things are tiny! I know the older Conroe stock coolers are decent enough, but these Wolfdale coolers look like they cost Intel around 25 cents.

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I guess I will probably just save some time and get a good cooler now, rather than wasting time with the stock cooler.
Looking at the FrostyTech reviews, the stock Core2Duo cooler doesn't even do well with temps even with everything at stock speeds/voltage.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
Jah, I must say, sometimes I feel uncomfortable with the stock cooler on my Xeon, even at 3.06 GHz. I've been wondering if I should get a moderate aftermarket cooler (say, the Arctic Cooling Alpine 7) just to improve things a bit. Now that the outside temperature is starting to get over 27 C (80 F), my cpu is showing 55 to 57 C* near-idle (ie web browsing).

On the other hand I'd rather not go through the hell of Intel's pushpins again, especially for a few degrees C. I don't really want a much better cooler as the huge heatsinks make me uneasy. Does anyone know what's the best nonbulky cooler with a profile similar to retail heatsinks?

* HWMonitor reading. Presumably 10 C lower in Real Temp, heh.

Edited: mmm, how's the Scythe Ninja mini?

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I don't like the idea of the push pins holding in a big HS either. But it seems the solution to that is simple.

Get this

To go with this

Although with shipping it starts to get expensive.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: myocardia
Originally posted by: Winterpool
Edited: mmm, how's the Scythe Ninja mini?

According to the reviews I've read of it, it's awesome, at least for it's size.

According to the charts, it's about equal in cooling to the stock Pentium D cooler. Doesn't sound so awesome to me.

A far cry from the stock AMD heatsinks as well, it seems.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
According to the charts, it's about equal in cooling to the stock Pentium D cooler. Doesn't sound so awesome to me.

A far cry from the stock AMD heatsinks as well, it seems.

Then you obviously don't realize how much more heat P-D's output, and how much bigger/badder a stock Pentium-D heatsink is, compared to the stock 45nm C2D heatsinks. And I've never seen it compared to a stock AMD heatsink. You got a link?

edit: BTW, Ike, if you've got slightly more room, an AC Freezer 7 Pro/Coolermaster Hyper TX2 will give you slightly better temps than the Mini Ninja, while still being way shorter than the big, bad heatsinks we like to use around here.