Anyone not interested in video games lately?

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Last game I played was Quake 4 and that was off and on. It's been weeks since I've touched a game and don't have any inclination to play either - PC games just don't seem all that good lately. Thinking I might be better off just selling my GTX and buying a cheap $100 card as a replacement. Anyone else feel that way?

liquid51

Oct 14, 2005
School has be pretty busy, so I've had much less time for them lately. But I do have to say that they haven't been on my mind as much lately. Although, I've had a renewed WoW interest since my buddy decided to join in...

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Pretty much. That's why I'm puting off my hardware upgrade until next spring. High hopes for HoMM5 and Oblivion here.

All of the newest games out just in time for Christmas are either bugfests, bore-o-ramas, or both.

johnnqq

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
fire up a good old game of unreal tournament and you'll be happy for a solid month :)

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I don't actively missed it, but school has kept me busy all semester. I may not miss it at any given moment, but when I think about how relaxing and fun it can be I do miss it :(

I've got FEAR, COD2, and Q4 all untouched with a virgin 7800GT that hasn't been gamed on in the past couple weeks I've had it *cry*

That's ok tho; after exams the gf will be out of the country for X-Mas and I have 3 weeks to do nothing but game :D

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Don't worry about it, sometimes I go months without playing games (usually interested/distracted by other things), but eventually I come back to them. Anyway it's better for you to be a well rounded person and have varied interests/hobbies rather then just gaming all the time. As stated above, maybe the new console launches and the pretty new graphics will pull you back in, MGS4 for the PS3 looks great to me, for example.

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: IeraseU
Anyway it's better for you to be a well rounded person and have varied interests/hobbies rather then just gaming all the time.

Words of wisdom there. :)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I have been a big CoD fan. The past week I have been playing CoD2 a couple of hours here and there. I guess I don't play anywhere near as often as I used to. Strictly multiplayer.

Since I finished FEAR single player, I have maybe played the multiplayer twice. Lost interest, I guess. I only played FarCry multiplayer once since I've owned it.

I was big into Unreal Tournament (Original) and had my own servers running modded up the wazoo.

Now it's just, meh.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Basically, having played HL2, Far Cry to death I'm pretty bored of PC games these days as well. I played most of the way through FEAR (fun but repetitive) and a bit of Q4 (bored to tears by that one). There haven't been many fun shooters recently; nothing on the level of Halo or Max Payne 1 and 2. Even FEAR was only maybe as good as the developer's previous effort: No One Lives Forever 2.

I sold my 7800GT (today actually!) and downgraded to a 6800GT. Might even consider taking another dive if I don't find anything worth playing in the near future.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: jiffylube1024
Basically, having played HL2, Far Cry to death I'm pretty bored of PC games these days as well. I played most of the way through FEAR (fun but repetitive) and a bit of Q4 (bored to tears by that one). There haven't been many fun shooters recently; nothing on the level of Halo or Max Payne 1 and 2. Even FEAR was only maybe as good as the developer's previous effort: No One Lives Forever 2.

I sold my 7800GT (today actually!) and downgraded to a 6800GT. Might even consider taking another dive if I don't find anything worth playing in the near future.

You found Halo fun??

Well, what about Doom 3? Call of Duty 2?

Norm

deepred98

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005
i'm too busy in school, trying to get straight A's

come winter break, then let the gaming begin

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
F.E.A.R., Call Of Duty 2, Quake 4 and Civilization IV were all disappointments for me this year.

But I regularly play Age Of Empires III, Empire Earth II, Battlefield 2, and Rome: Total War -Barbarian Invasion-.

The "ultimate", big title I was waiting for this year was The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

But it was delayed, and will be released during Q1 2006. The delay itself is of course frustrating, but will end up make the game more optimized, more stable and more enjoyable. So, technically, it's a good thing.

But, according to the release list on EBGames.com, there is absolutely NO PC games at ALL that's interesting me, up until TES IV: Oblivion.

Also, next year, I'll wait for Prey. That game looks superb.

So, for now, I'll stick with the games mentioned above, plus Natural Selection, UT 2004, Diablo II, and some older, but still fun games.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: IeraseU
Don't worry about it, sometimes I go months without playing games (usually interested/distracted by other things), but eventually I come back to them. Anyway it's better for you to be a well rounded person and have varied interests/hobbies rather then just gaming all the time. As stated above, maybe the new console launches and the pretty new graphics will pull you back in, MGS4 for the PS3 looks great to me, for example.

:thumbsup:

Lord Banshee

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2004
Other than Age of Empires 3, i go back and play SNES games lol :)

most games today are not that fun after about a day or two.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
There have been very few interesting releases in the last year or so, but I have a ton of older games I can go back to, usually with higher graphics settings this time. I'm big on retro gaming and go through all my old stuff routinely.

Originally posted by: deepred98
i'm too busy in school, trying to get straight A's

come winter break, then let the gaming begin

Same here. Should be able to get that, the way things have gone so far. :)

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: johnnqq
fire up a good old game of unreal tournament and you'll be happy for a solid month :)

:) I find that I spend too much time at Anandtech researching hardware. It's really cut into my gaming time. Would like to play more organized UT '99 Capture the Flag pick-up game matches. It's just awesome when you're playing an assigned position and talking to your teammates on Teamspeak 2.

(If anyone plays UT 99 regular weapons CTF and wants to learn how to PUG--unscheduled semi-organized competitive team play, just pm me.)

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
UT was an amazing game. I spent around six hours a day with that game for over two years and that game along with Freespace 2 were the only things I used to play for a long time. I was somewhat disappointed with both sequels though, particularly with how all the weapons were toned down so much. :( Hopefully the next one will be better.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: cevilgenius
Originally posted by: jiffylube1024

You found Halo fun??

Well, what about Doom 3? Call of Duty 2?

Norm

Halo was a blast! Different gun combinations and variable enemy AI made that game very fun to play. After you slog through the first mission or two, the different level design, etc made it great!

Doom3 was pretty but dumb; it got old fast and although I beat it, I only did so to say I had beaten it. The gameplay was pretty boring IMO.

Far Cry was a very fun game that I took a bit of time getting used to, but once I did I had a lot of fun with it.

As for COD2, I never played it and don't really have too much a desire to get into it. Online games aren't really my thing.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
UT was one of the all-time greats. I played it the first couple of years of Uni more than I should have; I have friends who still play it to this day. One of my buddies is a Deck 16 whiz!

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I was a master in Coret. :D Played that one all the time and had a great efficiency in it.

The best recent game IMO has been Splinter Cell Chaos Theory by some distance, although Far Cry was quite good too. The rest of the stuff I tried was pretty underwhelming. I haven't played Riddick yet though, which is supposed to be good. Something I'll be doing over my winter break.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
After high school, decided not to buy any videocards. Now in 4th year university with Radeon 8500 still...only played HL2 this summer. Don't really find that I miss games. In high school i played zelda, goldeneye, perfect dark. I find that gaming isnt as fun when you dont play with friends..and as friends grow up they dont really want to play games anymore. Although I did play Tiger Woods golf on PS2 with my boss last summer during lunch breaks.

route66

Sep 8, 2005
My gaming desires have waned considerably since Co-Op multiplayer FPS and RPGs went out of style. I don't understand why it's such a sin for game developers to make any of these kind of games anymore.

PS - I don't consider squad based gaming Co-Op

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
It's been happening to me, for the past year. I have Doom 3, Ressurection of Evil, Quake 4, F.E.A.R., CoD2, HL2, Far Cry and World of Warcraft. None of these games were able to keep my interest for more than a week.
I think ever since I started playing Everquest back in 2000/2001, my expectations and interests in games changed a lot. I played Everquest for 2+ years, and Everquest 2 for about 10 months. Ever since I started playing Everquest, no games have held high interest for more than a few weeks.