Anyone not go to work or leaving early today?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I was thinking about not going in because we got 2 inches of snow and they're calling for sleet and freezing rain and more snow. the roads were pretty clear so i came in anyway. now its sleeting and we just watched a truck from one of the places that cleans our floormats slide into one of the poles in the front parking lot and then sturggle to get the rest of the way out. granted, the parking lot is at an incline but still not good.

i'm thinking about getting out of here before it gets worse.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
hey I'm in boston and we've got alot more snow to go and I still dragged myself into work today. Along with the thousands of others on the T today.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
i would leave if i were you ponti. i hate driving in the rain, i can't imagine what snow would be like.

Crafty35a

Feb 2, 2003
Originally posted by: BKLounger
hey I'm in boston and we've got alot more snow to go and I still dragged myself into work today. Along with the thousands of others on the T today.

You're lucky you can take public transportation! Here in the Hartford area, during that first big storm of the year, it took me 5+ hours to make my 12 mile commute home, and that was leaving around 3. Ugh.

I may have to leave early again today, it looks like it's going to get pretty bad.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i can't assume it's going to be bad just because the weather says so, and also can't pre-emptively determine that the weather is bad enough to stay home (from work). if i can get here i show up, whatever happens while i am working, i deal with it @ 4:00pm. the weather drama is strong lately but i haven't had to stay home from work because of it yet, and i commute 40 mins each way.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Wow. 2 whole inches of snow....

Add another 2 to the end of the first 2 and then I'd consider not going to work...

StrangeRanger

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I WISH it was snowing. I'm prying for snow. I'm doing the nekid snow dance every night. We had an awesome layer out on the lake and after a warm day, strong winds and a little freezing rain its all turned to boiler plate. Totally sucks for kite boarding.
j

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
I have a flight leaving New England tonight . . . Should I even try?

Reading the news, sounds like most airlines are reporting delaying of 4-5 hours. Good luck!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
I just man up and drive through it. 2" of snow? I can't even see 2" of snow.

like i said, i came to work this morning. it's getting icy now, so i'm heading home here in like 2 minutes.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i get so angry at how the other offices in our corporation close down when someone sees a snowflake on the horizon, and we NEVER close no matter how bad it gets.

a couple weeks ago it got really bad at about 10am. all morning and afternoon we were thinking... ok... should be closing soon...

the manager responsible decided to close the office at 3:40pm.

she literally had to stop people on their way out to let them know we were closing due to weather conditions.

gee thanks

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's cloudy and looks like it MIGHT rain, so I stayed home....oh hell, I forgot...I don't have school on Fridays...damn...I wasted a perfectly good "hookey." <sigh>

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Erie doesn't believe in closing due to snow. My campus hasn't closed due to bad road conditions in years. 1 foot of snow? You probably won't even have a delay. My campus only closes for power outages - there were 7 of them last semester alone, and two so far this semester. Sometimes the hamster has a mild heart attack, which kills the power until he gets a transplant or a stent.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i just heard a news story about NY and some other areas getting 6" of snow and traffic conditions being insane because of the amount of accidents...

learn how to drive n00bs

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

Reading the news, sounds like most airlines are reporting delaying of 4-5 hours. Good luck!
So I just checked again to see how much it would cost to overnight at the Embassy Suites hotel near Logan Airport.

$550 for one night in a regular room! Fcukin' price gouging FTL! The rate was $130 for the same date when I looked last night.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

So I just checked again to see how much it would cost to overnight at the Embassy Suites hotel near Logan Airport.

$550 for one night in a regular room! Fcukin' price gouging FTL! The rate was $130 for the same date when I looked last night.

wow, that's bullshit.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Can you move your flight up earlier? It's not snowing that bad yet in Boston and Logan doesn't have any major delays at the moment. The big delays are in Philly and NY.