Anyone live in Montana?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Duddy
Originally posted by: Rill22
My brother lives in Missoula. He has really liked it for the past few years, but is getting tired of the lack of sunshine and the constant snow and cold.

Depends on what you like to do though. He calls it "Man-tana" and goes hunting and backpacking. A few weeks back it was open season with a bow and arrow ... in town.

My cousins lived in Missoula Montana for about 10 years. At first it was awesome but they eventually started to hate the constant cold and the heavy snow falls. I know I loved it when I visisted! Snowboarding is awesome!

They said the cold affected their sex lives. They moved to Wilmington, NC last year and said that they are now, "in a state of constant sex."

Damn, I never realized it that bad in Montana :p

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
I know I liked my short stay in Montana last summer. Its far from home though but I think its the kind of place I could enjoy calling home. I don't care a bit about the 'downtown social/club scene'. I love the outdoors though. And I know there is at least a relatively small job market for my future profession in some of the bigger cities (I'd choose Kalispell). It would rock being so close to GNP and the Canadian Rockies.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
For about 6 months, (back about 1976) I delivered meat from Spokane, through northern Idaho, into Missoula, up hwy 93, (pray for me, I drive 93) through Ronan and Poulson to Kalispell and Whitefish, then back across the northern route, up to Eureka, then through Troy and Libby, down through Sandpoint and back to Spokane...That country gets fucking cold in the winter...and it can fucking SNOW! Consider that the valley floor in Missoula is only about 3200 feet, but the surrounding mountains are quite a bit higher. (8000-9500 feet)
Still, if you like outdoor activities, like the mountains, and don't need a big city to thrive, then Montana's not a bad place.
Personally, I like Wyoming better, (talk about fucking desolate country) in part because there are FAR fewer people and better hunting and fishing, but it also gets much colder than most of Montana, and tends to be VERY conservative.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD
For about 6 months, (back about 1976) I delivered meat from Spokane, through northern Idaho, into Missoula, up hwy 93, (pray for me, I drive 93) through Ronan and Poulson to Kalispell and Whitefish, then back across the northern route, up to Eureka, then through Troy and Libby, down through Sandpoint and back to Spokane...That country gets fucking cold in the winter...and it can fucking SNOW! Consider that the valley floor in Missoula is only about 3200 feet, but the surrounding mountains are quite a bit higher. (8000-9500 feet)
Still, if you like outdoor activities, like the mountains, and don't need a big city to thrive, then Montana's not a bad place.
Personally, I like Wyoming better, (talk about fucking desolate country) in part because there are FAR fewer people and better hunting and fishing, but it also gets much colder than most of Montana, and tends to be VERY conservative.

In 2006 for about 6 months I did Spokane to Kalispell and back everyday M-F. I liked the drive but not the customer at the Kalispell end. And driving a 300hp truck at 100,000lbs sucked going up some of those hills with only a 9 or 10 speed. Damn little local newspapers!

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Duddy
Originally posted by: Rill22
My brother lives in Missoula. He has really liked it for the past few years, but is getting tired of the lack of sunshine and the constant snow and cold.

Depends on what you like to do though. He calls it "Man-tana" and goes hunting and backpacking. A few weeks back it was open season with a bow and arrow ... in town.

My cousins lived in Missoula Montana for about 10 years. At first it was awesome but they eventually started to hate the constant cold and the heavy snow falls. I know I loved it when I visisted! Snowboarding is awesome!

They said the cold affected their sex lives. They moved to Wilmington, NC last year and said that they are now, "in a state of constant sex."

If your cousins are in a state of constant sex they may be better off in Alabama.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: compman25

In 2006 for about 6 months I did Spokane to Kalispell and back everyday M-F. I liked the drive but not the customer at the Kalispell end. And driving a 300hp truck at 100,000lbs sucked going up some of those hills with only a 9 or 10 speed. Damn little local newspapers!

heh-heh...IIRC, I drove a 1962 Peterbilt with a 290 Cummins and a 9 speed Spicer...sucked going over Lookout and some of the smaller-but-steeper passes...

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: compman25

heh-heh...IIRC, I drove a 1962 Peterbilt with a 290 Cummins and a 9 speed Spicer...sucked going over Lookout and some of the smaller-but-steeper passes...

How about going over Lolo in the winter? I hated running Highway 12 from Lewiston ID to Missoula and back.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
As well as the smaller passes between eastern Washington and western...Snoqualmie is usually pretty good, but some of the others suck...

We lived in central Idaho for about 1-1/2 years(Salmon, Challis, Stanley) and drove over Lost Trails pass (93 between the Montana line and Missoula) and that was a mofo in the winter...and often closed for a couple of days at a time. Oc course LOTS of the smalle, less-traveled mountain passes are closed all winter. Hell, we even have several of those here in Kahleeforneeya that close before the first snowfall and don't open again until mid-May or later.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: BigPoppa
I've lived in Montana my entire life (Atlanta for year, attending Georgia Tech, then I came home), any specific questions I can answer?

Hmmm, we may be related. Every single relative i have is in and from Montana. My father lives in Seely Lake and everyone on his side of the family is in Helena (they all grew up there). My sister, bro-in-law, niece, nephew, and mother live outside of Bozeman. All my mothers family live in the Billings area (mostly), but my grand mother and uncle still live on the ranch near Zortman. ;) So, where are you located? Deer Lodge? :p

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Boy, there's only two things that come from Montana....Steers and *****s

Which one are you? ;) :laugh:

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
I grew up in Missoula and it's not a bad place to raise a family. However, the economy is mostly retail or specialized professions such as doctors and dentists. But if you plan on being a smoke jumper, then by all means it's the place to be. The winters are as cold as Minnesota, but it's still pretty snowy. Montana actually has four definite seasons though and it does get pretty hot in the summer, but not humid, so you can still enjoy the outdoors with no problems.

I think one of the posters might be talking about the militia up north instead of supremacists.

Eastern Montana is flat dry land. Western Montana is mountainous and more green. Northern Montana by Glacier National Park is where you can go to see scenery like those on postcards. It is just beautiful up there.

As far as living, I wouldn't want to go back and live there. Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe I wouldn't mind retiring there. IT's pretty dull if you want a social scene, but if you like the outdoors, it's heaven for you.