Anyone live in Manhattan?

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
So I just got a job in NYC and am moving into my new place on Feb 1st. I've done some research about internet and cable service and it seems like the only thing I can get is Time Warner...which is gonna be expensive because they screw you over (internet is 40 bucks a month and cable is like 38). Does anyone else live in Manhattan? What kind of service do you have? Should I just wait and see if I can steal someones wireless?

help appreciated

Rogeee

Feb 1, 2006
I would have honestly answered your question until I read "Should I just wait and see if I can steal someones wireless?"

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Time Warner is it for cable. Well, there's technically RCN, but they're owned by TWC and usually only available if your building is totally serviced by RCN, and from what I've heard their service and speeds are worse than TWC. In most situations, it's either TWC for cable or Verizon for DSL. Sucks.

polm

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
With all the money you'll be saving on rent, why not spend a little extra to get your own internet service. :roll:

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Originally posted by: polm
With all the money you'll be saving on rent, why not spend a little extra to get your own internet service.

haha, good one

the sad part is, I'm actually making a ton of money but like 75% of my salary comes in as a year end bonus so until them I'm so poor...paying 1700 a month plus utilities on a 60k/yr salary ftw!

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Rogeee
Only worthless to you :)

I abhor thievery.

yes but the question is do you hate stupid people? because they leave their wireless networks unsecured.

it all works out in the end

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: junkerman123
So you decided to be worthless Rogeee...thanks

What do you use loup?

Well to be fair, you did imply that you are considering stealing, which makes you an asshat.

I live in NYC btw, and I pay for cable internet through Time Warner - only cable service available. I don't have a landline, and I'm not planning on getting one, so the choice was simple for me, at the time. Maybe Verizon is offering a better deal now, though. FWIW, I used to live in Pittsburgh and Comcast gouges you just as much.

Rogeee

Feb 1, 2006
No, I do not hate the so called "stupid people", I just dislike poeple who are dishonest and who choose to steal products and services that they do not pay for.

polm

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
Please ellaborate, althought I know this isn't focused on the OP, on your salary. You get 60K total, and 75% of that comes once a year? Or do you get 60K with an additional 75% bonus?

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Originally posted by: jman19
So you decided to be worthless Rogeee...thanks

What do you use loup?

Well to be fair, you did imply that you are considering stealing, which makes you an asshat.

I live in NYC btw, and I pay for cable internet through Time Warner - only cable service available. I don't have a landline, and I'm not planning on getting one, so the choice was simple for me, at the time. Maybe Verizon is offering a better deal now, though. FWIW, I used to live in Pittsburgh and Comcast gouges you just as much.

I'm not getting a landline, it's too much of a waste of money at this point. I guess TWC it is :/

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Please ellaborate, althought I know this isn't focused on the OP, on your salary. You get 60K total, and 75% of that comes once a year? Or do you get 60K with an additional 75% bonus?

I recieved a 10 thousand dollar signing bonus, my yearly salary is 60k, and my year end bonus will be anywhere from 70k to 100k depending on the performance of the department.

Investment banking ftw (this is my first year out of college too)

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

I recieved a 10 thousand dollar signing bonus, my yearly salary is 60k, and my year end bonus will be anywhere from 70k to 100k depending on the performance of the department.

So you're saying that 75% of the total amount you make comes from your bonus? You might want to check the math on that if you are expecting between 70k and 100k. Are you sure you're in Ibanking?

polm

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001

Damn dude. Even at NYC rent prices, you should not be sweating a monthly internet bill. You didn't blow that signing bonus already...did you?

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003

So you're saying that 75% of the total amount you make comes from your bonus? You might want to check the math on that if you are expecting between 70k and 100k. Are you sure you're in Ibanking?

well if my bonus is 100k and my salary is 60k, then out of a total of 160k, 100k is 62.5%

it was a rough estimate/hyperbole. and who said you have to be good at math to be in ibanking? :)

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Yeah, we'll see what kind of ftw tune you'll be singing in a year or two. :p

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003

Damn dude. Even at NYC rent prices, you should not be sweating a monthly internet bill. You didn't blow that signing bonus already...did you?

actually I did :(
between buying new furniture, work clothes, and putting down various rent deposits and broker fees, I've spent a good 8 grand in the past 3 weeks

SuperNaruto

Aug 24, 2006
thats why you move to east ny.. aka new jersey and get cable vision..

friend pays around 150 for 3 boxes + dvr, digital cable + internet

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Originally posted by: loup garou
Yeah, we'll see what kind of ftw tune you'll be singing in a year or two. :p

haha, in a year or two I will hopefully be singing the "I just got fvcked with no lube for two years and now I can go to a hedge fund" tune.

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Originally posted by: SuperNaruto
thats why you move to east ny.. aka new jersey and get cable vision..

friend pays around 150 for 3 boxes + dvr, digital cable + internet

i have to be within walking distance of work sadly

edit: and nj is west or south :)

SuperNaruto

Aug 24, 2006
why do you need to be walking ?

i'm 153 east 53rd st.. citicorp center.. i run a hedgefund and i live in nj.. nyc is too pricy..

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Originally posted by: SuperNaruto
why do you need to be walking ?

i'm 153 east 53rd st.. citicorp center.. i run a hedgefund and i live in nj.. nyc is too pricy..

Well, for starters I will be working until 2 AM and heading into work for before 10, meaning that any sort of commute, even a half hour one, significantly cuts into my sleep time. Second of all, I was told that things tend to come up and its better to be able to get to work quickly. Once I'm not a bitch analyst anymore I will be able to move away, maybe to queens. Citicorp center is very close to my apartment btw. :)

Also, I'm 21 and why not enjoy the Manhattan life for a couple years?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

well if my bonus is 100k and my salary is 60k, then out of a total of 160k, 100k is 62.5%

it was a rough estimate/hyperbole. and who said you have to be good at math to be in ibanking? :)

Heh, I'm just busting your balls. I thought most people who are in Ibanking are supposed to have good quant skills, though, which means being able to calculate percentages :p