Anyone know where to buy "IBM Cordless Computer Connection"? Its a cordless phone with a RJ11 jack for wireless laptop connecitons.

DMage

Jan 23, 2000
My cordless phones like dead, the contacts to recharge it...well...dont make contact. I thought a cool feature would be to have a telephone jack on the phones handset (for like plugging in a laptop and using it anywhere around the house). Anyone know of such a cordless phone or if this even exists on a phone?

<edit>The product we are looking for is called IBM Cordless Computer Connection. Does anyone know of a online store that sells these? Thanks.</edit>

Drop me a private message if you do, it will help me out a lot! Thanks!

-DMage

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I got a 900 MHz AT&amp;T for 40 bucks at Cosco that fits the bill. I hang it on my shirt, clip (included) the headset cord to my shirt and can talk hands free. Love it, and it's scrambled too.

DMage

Jan 23, 2000
No I meant a RJ11 jack on the handset so you can plug a laptop or palmtop into it and use it cordless around the house. Anyone know of one?

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000
so why exactly do you need to plug it into the laptop? Are you gonna carry the phone AND the laptop around to talk? and wouldn't that make it NOT cordless?

NewStuffDude

Oct 15, 2000
That's a pretty cool idea, and I've never thought about it. Let me know if you find one, I'll feature it on our websiteif it's new !

What a cool idea !!

Maybe bluetooth will fit the bill in a few months, no phone needed. But still a good idea!

Would the static cause connection problems? And don't say that your cordless phone doesn't have static, all of them do.

NewStuffDude

Oct 15, 2000
Hey,

Just thought about it for a sec..... The base station has to be the main connection to the phone line ( I've never seen a cordless phone without SOME kinda base). They must not be able to fit all the stuff in the handset.

I have no idea how my Motorola startac works as small as it is.

It would be slooooow, I can only imagine. With the number of bottlenecks already present in the whole modem setup, why must we complicate things with another place to kill the integrity of the connection. You know how you hear static on that cordless phone? When the modem hears that, you most likely (a) lose your connection or (b) get some massive packet loss. Just get a long phone cord, I don't think 900MHz will be good for much longer than 25ft. while keeping a solid connection.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
i know what you are talking about. I too am looking for a cordless phone with a RJ11 jack in the headset. My phone doesnt really get much static when i walk around the house (digital spread spectrum) but I have yet to see phones with DSS and a RJ11 jack.

I do remember seeing a panasonic or IBM phone called &quot;cordless connection&quot; whose sole purpose was to provide a wireless connection for a laptops modem. I hope this info helps.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is an interesting question and the more I thought about it the more I figured there had to be something like this. I found out that there was a product - IBM Cordless Connection - but it was discontinued! Maybe you can still find one somewhere with some digging. I found a old post saying PC Connection carried them but I couldn't find it there today when I looked.

The product wasn't a regular cordless handset with an RJ11, but it was a 900MHZ cordless phone (no handset) that plugged into a laptop so you could do just what you want. Looks like the IBM part number was 04K0064.

Here's some links:
Good description of the IBM Cordless Connection at kento.com
Usenet post about the product

Now I wonder why something like this wasn't more popular - it's a cool idea.

DMage

Jan 23, 2000
wow cool find. I am gonna check into this more and will let you know if I find this product in any online store.

Thanks.

DMage

Jan 23, 2000
something like www.mars-tech.com has it for sale for $60, site hasnt been updated since july 31st but you cant order online anyways, need to call thier 1-888 number.