Anyone know where I can get an ATI s-video out cable/converter?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Basically I run cable to my tv, but since I got my x800xl, I haven't been able to use it:(

The card came with a very short s-video cable which is practicallt useless to me (i gave it away too:()

Basically, is there some sort of adapter that I can buy?

ATI's support was useless in resolving the matter:(

unfalliblekrutch

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
it's just a normal s-video port..so any s-video cable should do. Radioshack would have them. bestbuy, walmart, etc...just about anyone with an electronics department should.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: unfalliblekrutch
it's just a normal s-video port..so any s-video cable should do. Radioshack would have them. bestbuy, walmart, etc...just about anyone with an electronics department should.

It's not normal:(

Basically the square peg of an s-video doesn't have an appropriate hole to go into. The connetor has many small pin holes isntead of the regular 4 pin hole

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Right now I resorted to using an old radeon 7000ve for it's video output, but the card is so weak that it can't run multimedia rich apps.....hell, even DVDs stutter:(

Let's not even get into how HD performs:(

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Here is a picture of it

Except for the fact that I have the AGP version, the backplanes are identical

As you can see, it is some funky breakout conenctor:(

A regular S-Video cable should fit into that. It just has some extra holes.

pic of standard S-Video connector

The R9600 in my HTPC has the same plug as the card in that linked picture, and a regular S-Video cable works fine. The only cards that have a nonstandard connector are some of the AIW models (and the Crossfire boards, but those come with a Crossfire cable, and you can order one from ATI if you lose/break it).

Edit:

From a link I found about making your own S-Video->Composite adapter:

What if my PC graphics card has a 7-pin S-video connector instead of 4-pin ?

The four pin S-video connector as shown above is the standard connector for carrying S-video. Those seven pin connectors seen on some PC graphics cards are non-standard connectors for carrying S-video. The use of the pins on those seven pin connectors is not standardized and can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. (For some strange reasons some manufacturers in PC industry just keep constanly breaking the industry standars and create lots of confuzion to users when doing so).

Generally the four pins on those 7-pin connectors on the same places as the standard four pin S-video connector have practcly always the same fuctionality as those pins in S-video connector. The other three pins can have then some extra signals which are not part of S-video (usually some pins of those carry composite video and some control signals, but the use of those three extra pins vary quite much). So if you encounter 7 pin connector for S-video, then forget the three center pins... just use the four on the standard positions. The circuit shoudl work with those connectors as well.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
LOL...

1)The picture of my card is different than my card....the little slot for the s-video cable holder is missing, as if broken off, but from the facotry
2) I just "broke" the s-video cable by braking off the dead plastic cottom-center pin:D

I knew it only used for because I was trying to make a s-video to composite adaptor, but didn't bother to go back ther with a flashlight

Thanks a lot..working great:thumbsup: :laugh: