Anyone know the best way to clean a digital camera lens?

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Pic

My Powershot S110 is getting dirty, I assume. I think the spots on the picture are due to a dirty lens. Anyone know how to clean these correctly? The cleaning kits with the cloth don't do a great job, because the lens is fairly small on this camera.

Any tips would be appreciated. Would it be best to take it to my local camera shop for a good cleanup, since it is 2 years old? Thanks.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
1) Use compressed air from can and indirectly spray lens.
2) Buy a special lens-cleaning cloth from a camera store. Slightly dampen cloth with water and using a circular motion from the center of the lens moving to the outer portion, clean the lens.
3) Don't use any chemicals or cloths that contain wood-based fibres that could scratch the lens.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
1) Use compressed air from can and indirectly spray lens.
2) Buy a special lens-cleaning cloth from a camera store. Slightly dampen cloth with water and using a circular motion from the center of the lens moving to the outer portion, clean the lens.
3) Don't use any chemicals or cloths that contain wood-based fibres that could scratch the lens.

Sounds like good advice to me!

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Bootprint
If it's just spots, then how about using a lenspen

That looks what I am looking for. The cleaning clothes are too big, and don't do an adequate job. Thanks.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
I use these nifty disposable lens-wiping sheets. They're like fancy cigarette paper, when you have it in your hand. The guys at B&H suggested them, and they seem to work rather well. "Kleensite Optical Lens Wipe".