Anyone know the approximate weight of a 20' motorboat?

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Any boaters here know the ~weight of a 20' motorboat? I am wondering whether I could tow something like that...

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend
~2500-3500lbs

It really depends on the make/model.

ok.. thats about what i needed to know. I didn't think my RAV4 would be able to handle one (I believe the V6 is rated at 2000 lbs)

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Depends on the type of boat. Fiberglass? Aluminum? I've seen some relatively light boats compared to Sacrosanct's numbers. However, the typical fiberglass boat of that length is in Sacrosanct's range. (if not slightly more.)

You can google particular makes/models and find the gross vehicle weights listed for the boats.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
I had a 20' cuddy @ 3200 lbs., 170 HP I/O. Mine was considered on the heavy side for a 20 footer.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I had an 18' Sea-Ray that weighed in at well over 3000 lbs...fucking heavy SOB. I could barely pull it with our Dodge Caravan, so I bought a pick-up to haul it.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Towing is a lot more than just the tow rating of the vehicle you have vs. the trailer weight. First off, boats are weighed dry, with no gas or gear. They hold a LOT of gas, and you always put gear, coolers with ice, etc....you can easily add 500lbs to it without even trying.

Then, you have to add the weight of the trailer. That's easily going to be 1000lbs for a 20ft boat, if not more.

Now, you also have to consider the tow vehicle: Most tow ratings are simply for advertising....if you read all the disclaimers and footnotes, you'll find that pretty much no vehicle is capable of towing the advertised "Max Trailer Weight" it's rated for.
Tow rating is based on the base model vehicle, with no passengers, gear, cargo, or usually even gas. And a 150lb driver. Who weighs 150lbs?

And who buys the very base model of anything? So everything you add to that vehicle....options like power windows, skid plates, sunroof, etc....they all take away from that vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, (GVWR) and from the Max Trailer rating.
Now, you add the weight of your passengers, and any cargo or mods you've made to the vehicle.

Not to mention the tongue weight of the trailer....that counts towards the Payload capacity of the tow vehicle....another rating you have to be careful not to exceed. A 3000lb trailer will easily have 300lbs or more of tongue weight.

So, what to consider when you are figuring what your truck can tow:
GVWR....max the tow vehicle is allowed to weigh. Go weigh your truck as it sits, with a full tank and loaded, and subtract that from the GVWR. Then you know how much cargo/passenger/tongue weight you can add to it.

GCVWR...Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating....max your truck and trailer are rated to weigh, fully loaded. Gotta weigh 'em both to get this one.

Max Trailer Capacity....max anything you tow is ever supposed to weigh.

You aren't supposed to exceed any of these numbers. In fact, most experts will tell you it's much better not to exceed 85% of the max. rated weights.

But for the OP, it's pretty obvious that you can't tow that boat without a bigger truck. You don't need to do the math I've laid out here.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Oh, and for comparison of weights, my boat is a Bryant 216, which has a dry weight of just under 3500lbs. Loaded with gas and gear, it exceeds 4000lbs. And with the trailer, is well over 5000lbs.

I tow it with a Suburban, and it does well, but I wouldn't want to tow anything bigger with it. In fact, a friend bought a Bryant 236 about the same time as I bought mine, and after towing it home with his practically identical Suburban, he sold it and bought a 3/4 ton Suburban. His towed it, and the boat was within the rated capacity, but it was not pleasant.